low acheavers

Sponsored Links
The documentary series Educating Essex demonstrated how a school could maintain discipline without resorting to violence. :cool: :cool: :cool: The formidable deputy head, Mr Drew, was the kind of teacher who knew how to earn respect - but it was hard work. I seem to remember that he said 95% of their pupils were no problem at all but the remaining 5% used up 90% of the school's resources. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mr Drew, was the kind of teacher who knew how to earn respect - but it was hard work. I seem to remember that he said 95% of their pupils were no problem at all but the remaining 5% used up 90% of the school's resources. :eek: :eek: :eek:[/quote]

Thats the red meat of the problem thats why the numpties have to be outed
what we do with the numpties is another question From this year kids have to be in school or training until 18,Iwonder what problems that will throw up?

Thats the red meat of the problem thats why the numpties have to be outed
Precisely. There used to be places and units set up to try to cater for them. They had varying success and failure, but the most important thing was that these youngsters weren't destroying mainstream education. They were expensive to run, so the government at the time decided to setup "social inclusion" for alleged moral reasons but which was always a money saving scheme first, second and last. It used to cost about £30k pa to cater for a pupil in a special unit. The same pupil would cost about £4k as per norm in a mainstream school, with an additional £2k or so paid to the school to hire classroom assistants. Nett saving allegedly £24k. Nett cost to school in terms of disruption, destruction, additional wear and tear on other pupils and teachers etc..£??, but probably more than the £24k saved. I know personally several good quality teachers who quit or left through sickness due to the heartbreaking behaviour of this tiny minority on a once manageable happy(ish) majority.

Of course the powers that be further required for league table results to show an upward trend and therefore had to devalue the credibility of the examination awarding structure. This point has been discussed ad nauseum on here and elsewhere.

what we do with the numpties is another question From this year kids have to be in school or training until 18,Iwonder what problems that will throw up?
It does beg several questions, such as where exactly are these people going to go to school since the vast majority of secondary schools I know of haven't got the physical (let alone staffing) capacity to cater for an additional 2 years of pupils which could be a population of up to 500 in a reasonable size establishment. Sixth form centres are also not over-endowed with spare room.

So what precisely are these youngsters going to do, and where, and with whom? Nobody I know has a clue, and you'd think the policy setters might have at least given us a rough idea :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well said. Calor.

I have the ultimate solution, although no-one will agree with it and so it will never happen!

My idea is that education will be free for all - everyone will have the same opportunity of a good education from age 5 to minimum age 16 (or higher) BUT it will not be obligatory!

If children and their parents can see the benefit of education, there it will be for them.

If children or their parents cannot see any benefit, they do not need to take advantage of what is on offer.

I foresee one of two consequences:

Parents of children who are not interested will soon begin to realise that everyone else is getting something for nothing and they are missing out! Many of them will be of the type who want everything there is to be had - so long as it is free!

At least some of such parents will see that the only way to get on in this world is to have an education. Those who plan to spend a lifetime on handouts will be dismayed to learn that state benefits will only be available to those who have made an effort to find work or are genuinely incapable of working.

Finally, disruptive children who do attend school but do so in order to enjoy themselves in causing as much trouble for everyone else will be given one written warning, as will their parents, and any repeat offence will result in their forfeiting the opportunity of free state education for ever.

As I said, I do not expect anyone to agree with this, even though I am convinced that it would work. Our masters in Brussels would never allow it anyway.

Realistically, I expect the problems of disruption of education, and the country's consequent demise, to continue.

Main problem is- some parents dont give 2 hoots about their childrens education at all.
It really is too late now- what some parents 'spawned' are clones of themselves.
The rot has set in. :cry:
All downhill from here .

Main problem is- some parents dont give 2 hoots about their childrens education at all.
It really is too late now- what some parents 'spawned' are clones of themselves.
All downhill from here .

Hopefully, even these low-lifes will eventually realise that to live they will need to work and if they can encourage their children to work at school they, in turn, will be able to contribute to the family's income.

Of course, I am being rather naive in crediting them with any common sense at all.

All downhill from here .

Hopefully, even these low-lifes will eventually realise that to live they will need to work and if they can encourage their children to work at school they, in turn, will be able to contribute to the family's income.

Of course, I am being rather naive in crediting them with any common sense at all.
With respect- you are Naieve thinking that those sort of people 'HAVE TO WORK'.
They seem to get along just fine - sitting at home all day watching jerry springer and the UK equivalent presenters,. Drawing their hard earned benefits every week- as if it is their 'right to do so'.
Obviously- their kids aspire to their 'smart' parents- No having to work' and get more benefits given 'gratis' for doing sod all all and every day.
Beats working anytime I gues ??.

This thread has had over 1003 views and 67 replies about our education system and its failings but not one has mentioned the most blatent thing about it :eek:

All downhill from here .

With respect- you are Naieve thinking that those sort of people 'HAVE TO WORK'.
They seem to get along just fine - sitting at home all day watching jerry springer and the UK equivalent presenters,. Drawing their hard earned benefits every week- as if it is their 'right to do so'.
Obviously- their kids aspire to their 'smart' parents- No having to work' and get more benefits given 'gratis' for doing s** all all and every day.
Beats working anytime I gues ??.

But I added this paragraph:

"At least some of such parents will see that the only way to get on in this world is to have an education. Those who plan to spend a lifetime on handouts will be dismayed to learn that state benefits will only be available to those who have made an effort to find work or are genuinely incapable of working."

Part of my 'ideal solution' is to stop benefits payments altogether for such people.

But I added this paragraph:

"At least some of such parents will see that the only way to get on in this world is to have an education. Those who plan to spend a lifetime on handouts will be dismayed to learn that state benefits will only be available to those who have made an effort to find work or are genuinely incapable of working."

Part of my 'ideal solution' is to stop benefits payments altogether for such people.
I agree largely with you sentiments JBR. Sadly I have been out for a lovely meal with some friends which included a tad too much wine to become too involved in a response, especially to your lengthy reply to my missive above. However, skim reading tho post quoted herein - what will happen to the underclass who have no intention if working nor contributing to the society (sorry about bringing that word into it :oops: )? Short of letting them starve to death, forced imprisonment and/or sterilisation, what is the ultimate solution???

Sponsored Links
Back