Low Angle Roof Options for Outdoor Seating Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping for some inspiration for a outdoor seating area I am planning to build. The main structure will be timber, but I am struggling to find a nice looking and suitable roof covering.

The height at the house wall side is ~2.7m, and the projection from the wall is 6m. I would like to keep the open side as high as possible, to enable as much light in as possible.

I am not a fan of flat roofs generally, but material choices are not nice to look at. I do like a a pantile style clay tile, but the lowest angle option I can find is 12.5 degrees. Given the projection, this would result in ~1.4m height at the open end. Far too low!

A google search comes up short, as it just offers the standard flat roofing materials such as felt, epdm etc.

I know for a fact that in countries such as Spain and Italy they use clay tiles (or similar) on much shallower roofs. I cannot find any information on these. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Alternatively I was wondering whether I could just use the Marley pantile tile at say 5/10 degs. As weird as it sounds, the roof does not need to be water-tight as such, as it is an outdoor area. Just keep the rain/sun off so we can sit under. If I compare to the basic ship-lap timber roof on my children's climbing frame, this is as simple as it gets and stays pretty much completely dry underneath even in heavy rain. I cannot see a reason why this would not work, but maybe there is something I am missing?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you are building a garden structure that is not a habitable unit you may not be bound by minimum pitch requirements but i would check with your local Council as many places have differing criteria. If you are able to avoid a minimum pitch then these could be an option....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you are building a garden structure that is not a habitable unit you may not be bound by minimum pitch requirements but i would check with your local Council as many places have differing criteria. If you are able to avoid a minimum pitch then these could be an option....
Thanks Daz. I do need to speak with the local building control to understand the requirement.

That looks a neat product you have suggested there, but for me it just doesn't look right. I much prefer the look of a real tile.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back