Low pitch roof issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had an outhouse in the garden rebuilt. Roof was designed to be essentially a flat roof with 10 degree single pitch with reclaimed hand made pantiles as a covering to make it look prettier with a.

Seems the builder didn't quite get it and installed it as follows:
20mm marine ply, tyvek waterproof membrane laid directly on it and then battened across for the pantiles to hang off.

Issue seems to be water building up on top of the membrane behind the batons then seeping through and also condensation patterns on the underside of the marine ply.

Have asked another builder friend and he's come up with a solution but I'm not sure about it. Take off the old roofing down to the ply, put batons running down the pitch of the roof, put an impermeable membrane down (thinking either EDPM or bituminous underfelt) then cross batons to hang the tiles off.

Any ideas or thoughts on this would be very welcome indeed. Just starting to put my materials order together.

Many thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
You need to treat this as a flat roof and fit mineral felt to the deck (with sealed laps), then the battens running in line with the slope, then the tile battens on top.

Felt would be preferable to EPDM as the batten fixing holes will self-seal.

Sponsored Links
As long as you are aware that the tiles are just for show and they will not keep the rain out

Hi, appreciate this is an old thread, but sounds like you had built something along the lines of what I am looking to do. An outdoor seating area with as shallow as possible roof, using clay pantiles purely for the aesthetics.

Are you able to share the final solution you went with, and whether you have had any problems since?

You need to treat this as a flat roof and fit mineral felt to the deck (with sealed laps), then the battens running in line with the slope, then the tile battens on top.

Felt would be preferable to EPDM as the batten fixing holes will self-seal.
Hi Woody, on he off chance you are still on this forum, any chance of a bit more explanation on your proposed build up discussed above? I'm wanting to do a very similar thing to the original poster, and sounds like this would help

We would ply , counter batten then torch on the whole lot. Then tile it as normal . Any nail holes are on the raised bits over the counter battens .

Hi Woody, on he off chance you are still on this forum, any chance of a bit more explanation on your proposed build up discussed above? I'm wanting to do a very similar thing to the original poster, and sounds like this would help
Woody is still about, time hasn’t tempered his sarcasm :ROFLMAO:

As the post below yours says, you basically treat the low pitch as a flat roof, cover it as such and that provides the weather protection. Then you batten and tile in the tile of your choice which is primarily for aesthetics, but any rain that gets past the tile is dealt with by the [flat roof] felt.

As the post below yours says, you basically treat the low pitch as a flat roof, cover it as such and that provides the weather protection. Then you batten and tile in the tile of your choice which is primarily for aesthetics, but any rain that gets past the tile is dealt with by the [flat roof] felt.
ok, I understand. However, can you provide a layman's explanation of the structure of the flat roof build up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back