low pitch, How do I roof this?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As the picture below, we are wanting to create an extension with the foot print as below (6.50 x .50)

But I am struggeling as to the roof design as we are (as far as I can see) restricted by the 3 first floor windows preventing us from getting a pitch greater than 12 deg.

I was thinking of running from the the ridge on the diaganal from the inner corner of the main house at first floor windor to the point bottom right and then pitching down either side to creat a semi hip.

I've heard that if you marine ply and double felt the roof, building control are OK with you fitting tiles that aren't at the specified minimum angle.

Any advice welcome please?

roof-4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Building Control may but should not allow tiles to be used for a purpose for which they were not designed, even with double boarding or a bigger lap 12° is pushing it for traditional tiles.

You can get sheet roof tiles that mimic tiles that go down to about 10° though for eg http://www.monier.co.uk/products/product-catalogue/product-range/product/plegel-05.html

Or you can do a proper flat roof if you prefer with a felt or edpm or similar or personally I like Zinc, there is also lead and whilst it will outlast you it comes at a premium.

I am trying to replace the flat roofs on the other extensions! So no flat roofs please.

Sponsored Links
Flat rooves will last 20 years provided they are fitted correctly, metal Flat rooves are a different breed, fitting tiles to a pitch at which they are not designed is naive and shortsighted.

Build a gable on 6.5m run and have a valley gutter against the existing left elevation.

You may have to alter one of the windows.

....or just build a flattie.

We just don’t want a flat roof, they look rubbish!

Is a practice to do a compromise? I.e a flat middle section (sort of the area of the current lean-to roof, but then pitching down as hips from there?

This will then give from ground level the facing slope of tiles , but at a pitch of about 33 degs.

The other advantage would be the lean-to roof can remain on the build to keep main house weather tight whilst build is in progress???

We would then also like to add a roof dome to the flat section to let more light in

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...rbonate-100x100-including-insulated-kerb.html

domeroof.jpg

domeroof2.jpg

Thanks Joe.

We are realy pleased and the roof dome will help as the current lean-to area could be quite dark as it would in effect be "inside" with no direct light.

I know it is a flat roof section, but I see this as more benift than a 100% flat roof extension. For the flat roof section what is the best material? Fibre glass?

I'm guessing without seeing it, you could have a lot higher pitch roof either way depending how much you want to spend, you could do away with the windows and put in velux windows in the new roof area instead

So you're solution is to combine a flat roof you think will look rubbish a dome rooflight which looks hideous and a pitched roof! Each to their own! :LOL:

Zinc & lead flat roofs look very pretty IMHO and are quite contemporary and look nothing like your typical flat roof in felt or similar, each to their own though.

you could try decra lightweight roof tiles minimum of 10 degrees would do the job

Loose the plastic finials and twiddly bits - and probably the gutter :confused: and you have indeed sorted it ;)

if it`s surrounded by a metal roof on the flat - leading onto the tiled area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back