Low flow on Mira Event XS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 year old Mira Event XS and has been working fine. couple of weeks ago it started to make a high pitch noise when working. But the water flowed fine. Now there is no water flow at all, but the motor works.

I took out the filter and found it to be clean and no blocks at all. Wondering if it was water lock I lowered the shower head as low as I could and found a lot of water started to flow (when the shower was turned on). Not with the high pressure as normal but still get enough flow. When I raise the shower head to its normal height the flow stops. So I didn't think it was the airlock.

The temperature mix still seems to work fine when I lower the shower head.
So I'm a bit stumped as to what might be causing the issue.
Any help from you guys is appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you check both hot/cold flow from the filters when you had them out ?
Check the shower hose internal has not collapsed when in upright position.

Are you referring to the single filter unit with hot and cold both filters attached? They appeared clean. And the water inlet into the filters seems fine too. The hot water isolating valve isn't closing properly so I can see a good inflow of hot water :cry:. Just had to be careful not to get it on the electrics.

Checked the horse pipe for any collapsed bits but it seems fine.
Thanks

Are you referring to the single filter unit with hot and cold both filters attached?

Yes

They appeared clean. And the water inlet into the filters seems fine too. The hot water isolating valve isn't closing properly so I can see a good inflow of hot water

Checking the flow with the isolation valve half open isn't a option, both need to be checked with valves fully open and equal free flow from both.
And checking for air.

Checked the horse pipe for any collapsed bits but it seems fine.
Thanks

How did you check that ?

Sponsored Links
Checking the flow with the isolation valve half open isn't a option, both need to be checked with valves fully open and equal free flow from both. And checking for air.
Can you clarify this bit please? I have run the shower (with the filter on and both isolating valves fully open) for a long time to try and clear any air lock.
Only try and close the valves when I took the filter out.

How did you check that ?
Disconnected the horse pipe and had the wife hold one end at the kitchen tap. And checked for any varying flow as I raised the other end. The flow seems to be consistent. Should have tried the bath, as it caused a bit of a mess, but this tab had the best pressure in the house. Couldn't think how else I could check it.

Thanks

Checking the flow with the isolation valve half open isn't a option, both need to be checked with valves fully open and equal free flow from both. And checking for air.
Can you clarify this bit please? I have run the shower (with the filter on and both isolating valves fully open) for a long time to try and clear any air lock.
Only try and close the valves when I took the filter out.

You need to remove the filters and open each iso valve and check both flows are equal from the filter holes with no air being release that maybe in the pipework.

Is the motor running fully ie change speeds when you turn up the flow dial ?

You need to remove the filters and open each iso valve and check both flows are equal from the filter holes with no air being release that maybe in the pipework.

Okay will do that this evening and get back. Thanks for the advice for far.

I have removed the filter and made sure that the inflow of both hot and cold water supply are good. See the first image.

The filter is in good shape too (2nd image). However, the 3rd image is showing how low the flow water is when the shower is working. Could it be a block after the filter? Or may be the pump is not working property?

Anything else I can check?
Thanks

Water flowing from the cold and hot supply.
2zi4v8x.jpg

Clean filter
65r3p0.jpg

Low water flow through the shower when working
21m9sud.jpg

[/img]

Is the motor actually spinning & does it alter speed as you turn the top dial ?
It may hum but that don't mean its turning.

When the cover is off and I turn on the shower, I cannot see anything moving. All the coper areas of the motor are static, and yet I can hear the motor humming.
As I turn the top dial left and right the humming gets louder and quieter.

Should I be able to see the motor spinning on the Mira Event XS? If so the motor may be gone?

Yes the motor is visible when spinning. Look at the white impeller at the bottom it should turn.
Try giving it a nudge/tap.

If it still won't turn , try turning it by hand with the power off
Poss the impeller maybe damaged stopping it turning.

Definitely nothing is turning. Tried what you have suggested but event with hand it not possible to move any visible part of the motor.
There is a black rotor like bit at the bottom of the motor with vertical fins. It looks like it should be rotating, but when I try to move it manually it turns like a half degree and doesn't want to go any further. I may be barking up the wrong part here.

I have attached a video that I hope may help

Thanks

Yes the part with the fins should turn if not it's more likely jammed in the pump part which is in the black casing below.

You can remove the casing by removing the complete motor and undo the 4 screws on the black casing.

The pump impeller is more likely faulty.
This motor/pump come new as a complete unit at about £90

I'm about to order a pump/motor assembly. Do you you think I should be concerned about a damaged solenoid valve too? I have read posts not too dissimilar relating to solenoid valve failure.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back