Low inlet gas pressure - Worcester Greenstar 42CDI bolier

Gasguru - sorry misread above - I think the 14mb was at the meter rather than boiler, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Call Transco back.

There must be a problem with the pipework from the street to the meter.

Perhaps they joined on to the old steel service pipe feeding the meter.

If the meter is internal this is likely to be the case.

Transco will for FREE replace defective pipework, relocate the meter to outside and repipe. Had it done many, many times. Sometimes you have to be very ascertive. :)

If the pressure is read at the meter then changing YOUR pipe is unlikely to make a difference.

It would be National Grid's pipe that is too small or as GG said, it could be blocked.

If they have run the new service up the old pipe then you could be stuffed...

JB277 said:
In response to various questions above:

The boiler is right next to the gas meter and has all new 22mm pipe work (would switching to 28mm help?)

The only other appliance is the cooker and that's in the next room.

The governor was replaced by Transco but this didn't seem to help.

The 30mb standing pressure was going into the meter, not out in the street.

I live in North Cheam / Worcester Park and the main in the road is new apparantly. The pipe coming into mine and my neighbour's house is plastic rather than cast iron so must be fairly new.

Cheers guys!

Pardon us, especially me for being a Div. Your governor/Regulator is faulty. If when operating the appliance ( in your case, boiler) the reading at the meter is saying that you only have 14mbar of pressure supplying said appliance, then the governor/regulator on top if your meter is failing because you should expect a working pressure of between 19/ 23 mbar.

Sponsored Links
FFS :evil: :evil:

God help us in this trade.

If the service pipe is blocked the regulator ain't gonna do jack ****.

It doesn't matter how many governor/regulators you stick on there (and I've had plenty of dumb arse Transco engineers go down that route) the pressure won't be correct if the pressures low on the inlet to the reg due to a partially blocked service.

Why do dynamic/static pressures and flowrates on gas and water seem to cause so much confusion - its nussery school stuff :rolleyes:

Gasguru is spot on right from the start. Had exactly the same prob the other week. And it is quite common especially after a lot of rain like we have had , little leaks in service pipe to house let water in and can cause partial blockage or bring debri into pipe and do the same. The guy has has changed the govenor so prob is not that. Get them back

Gasguru said:

If the service pipe is blocked the regulator ain't gonna do jack s**t.

It doesn't matter how many governor/regulators you stick on there (and I've had plenty of dumb a**e Transco engineers go down that route) the pressure won't be correct if the pressures low on the inlet to the reg due to a partially blocked service.

Why do dynamic/static pressures and flowrates on gas and water seem to cause so much confusion - its nussery school stuff :rolleyes:

If the service pipe into the property was blocked then surely the Transco engineer wouldn`t be getting a reading of 30mbar into the property would he? or is it it me :?: Just a suggestion. :rolleyes:

30mBar is standing pressure... He could have a blockage that has an opening the size of a pilot injector and get 30mBar standing pressure...

was it a heavy night last night B? :confused: :oops:

30MBAR standing pressure would be achieved easily inlet pressure can be anything up to 75mbar on low pressure service pipes.

Bambergaspipe said:
If the service pipe into the property was blocked then surely the Transco engineer wouldn`t be getting a reading of 30mbar into the property would he? or is it it me :?: Just a suggestion. :rolleyes:

The pipe is PARTIALLY blocked. It only needs a pinhole sized gap and you will measure street pressure. Dynamic or working pressure will be zilch though.

Surely as an rgi (or maybe not :eek: ) you've come across this scenario? happens on a regular basis round here.

Gasguru said:

If the service pipe is blocked the regulator ain't gonna do jack s**t.

It doesn't matter how many governor/regulators you stick on there (and I've had plenty of dumb a**e Transco engineers go down that route) the pressure won't be correct if the pressures low on the inlet to the reg due to a partially blocked service.

& god help us engineers with p*rick end know it all`s like you. FFS. You only know this because you have encountered this problem & were probably stumped yourself.
You know the procedure as far as an installer is concerned, if the meter doesn`t throw the required pressure it`s usually down to the regulator. if you, as an engineer decide that it is down to the regulator, it`s down to Transco, if Transco don`t know their job, we`re all f*ucked. Get down off your high horse & go get that guy`s job. (what a dick).
The only way I will know that there is a problem with the incoming main, is after fitting the new governor, the problem persists. Then again, it`s not my job. You are a bad w*anker mate, & a sad excuse for an engineer.I bet your hugely popular at work.

[Bambergaspipe]
& god help us engineers with p*rick end know it all`s like you. FFS. You only know this because you have encountered this problem & were probably stumped yourself.
You know the procedure as far as an installer is concerned, if the meter doesn`t throw the required pressure it`s usually down to the regulator. if you, as an engineer decide that it is down to the regulator, it`s down to Transco, if Transco don`t know their job, we`re all f*ucked. Get down off your high horse & go get that guy`s job. (what a dick).

Sorry mate you've been well and truly caught out. I can't help being a competent installer and knowing the difference between working and static pressures. IMHO you shouldn't be doing the job if you can't grasp this basic fact. Its got NOTHING to do with encountering the problem before.

You ain't gonna get far if you rely on everyone else knowing what their doing. I would never trust what a Transo engineer tells me or for that fact a manufacturers support desk, a sales rep or a customer. Take their advice at face value - use your brain and work it out for yourself.

Southern Gas Networks are only insterested in profit - they don't give a stuff about the customer and will hapily fob them off and rely on incompetent engineers to tow the line.

Sorry mate you've been well and truly caught out. I can't help being a competent installer and knowing the difference between working and static pressures. IMHO you shouldn't be doing the job if you can't grasp this basic fact. Its got NOTHING to do with encountering the problem before.

You ain't gonna get far if you rely on everyone else knowing what their doing. I would never trust what a Transo engineer tells me or for that fact a manufacturers support desk, a sales rep or a customer. Take their advice at face value - use your brain and work it out for yourself.

Southern Gas Networks are only insterested in profit - they don't give a stuff about the customer and will hapily fob them off and rely on incompetent engineers to tow the line.

It has everything to do with it & you know it.
Bluster & Bulls*hit all you like Fellah.

It won`t come up next time I take my Acs.

I still would have knew it was the incoming main after changing the regulator. :rolleyes:
(what a huge dick).

That would have given me a huge, massive clue :rolleyes:

By the by, can any installers tell me what guage I need to use to test the incoming gas main, ( just so i know to tell the guy from Transco that he is an idiot).
I don`t appear to have one in my gas engineer`s toolkit :cry:

Calm down chaps! Anyway... quick update: the gas fitter came back round and said the same as Gasguru, ie that the standing pressure doesn't mean anything and that I should be entitled to use my (large) domestic boiler. The plan of action is to get Transco back round to test the working gas pressure (which should be minimum 19mbar) with the boiler running full power - the cooker is old and is being disconnected anyway so they'll have to test it on the boiler. Then they'll have to blow out the pipe or failing that, lay a new one at their cost as I understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back