Low inlet gas pressure - Worcester Greenstar 42CDI bolier

Sponsored Links
Some interesting statements made on this post :D

Not interested in debating standing and working pressures, just woundering if anyone remembers when the gas transporter could supply pressure as low as 12mb :?:

The point to note about this is the effective SIZE (as well as condition) of the service pipe (street to meter).

Transco / National Grid practice is to 'line' old and unserviceable steel pipes with (yellow) MDPE, from street to meter when they're re-piping the street, or from meter to street when there's an individual supply problem.

As a result, MANY service pipes in UK consist of a steel pipe which may be in a dodgy condition and partially blocked / collapsed,

OR

a relined pipe, with an UNDERSIZED (19mm outside diameter) MDPE pipe actually carrying the gas. Add on potential (likely?) partial blockage with crud, scale etc. partly blocking the end of the NEW pipe where it's been pushed ahead of the MDPE as it went in, and what have you got? Virtually GUARANTEED pressure problems when a big-hitter such as a 40Kw combi stresses the supply.

ANY RGI should at least be well aware of this and / or be smart enough to work it out for themselves. Anyone else working on gas should question their own position. Customers should choose their RGI with care. National Grid should get their act together.

End of Sermon (being Sunday!) :D

ANY RGI should at least be well aware of this and / or be smart enough to work it out for themselves. Anyone else working on gas should question their own position. End of Sermon (being Sunday!) :D

Peeerlease no more :!: , you are talking through your ass guy. I don`t give a monkeys wether the gas supply comes through a corroded pipe or a cat`s ar*se as long as I get what I need to feed whatever appliance I need, you bunch of sanctimonious pillocks.

I`m feeling quite nauseous being amongst such Saints.YEEEEEEEEAAWWWN. :!:

Sponsored Links
Dear oh dear oh dear!

WERE you aware of the problem I outlined?
If so, no problem for YOUR customers, then!

OTHERWISE, I think it's your turn (once again) to disappear up your own orifice.

quote="croydoncorgi"]Dear oh dear oh dear!

WERE you aware of the problem I outlined?
If so, no problem for YOUR customers, then!

OTHERWISE, I think it's your turn (once again) to disappear up your own orifice.

My job is to ensure that all after & including the gas meter is safe, I am qualified to do so. Your job it seems is to brag, bluster & bullsh*it & waffle on about something I don`t need to know just to impress your fellow engineers. Fine Fellah, go forth, Impress. :rolleyes: FFS.

I won`t disappear if you are Man enough to stand your ground & argue with me. But like the rest I`m sure you will make your comment then recede into cyberspace. The question is? Are you Man enough to have a verbal confrontation. I`m ready.

" The gas shall be at a suitable pressure to ensure the safe operation of any gas appliance which a consumer could reasonably be expected to operate“ – Gas Safety (Management) Regulations

RGI's are instructed to work on a figure of 21 +-2 at the meter

However it is my understanding the GT's will allow street pressures to drop to 14 mbar which they deem safe. I suspect this figure has been dreamt up in conjunction with the HSE.

Therefore with corroded cast iron mains in the street at the end of the district network, the district governor pressure may be lowered to reduce gas leaks in the street until suitable upgrading of the network. Net result may be a street pressure down to 14 mbar if you're at the end of the pipe network. That situation will remain until replacement with MDPE and under the current swapout program may take 25 years.

What this means for the customer is the RGI is responsible to ensure the installation is safely operating with very low working pressures. It is NOT Transco, corgi or anyone else's responsibility.

Total farce. :mad: :mad:

For some customers I know if their current boiler packs up it is not legally posible to install a new boiler since you will not comply with GSIUR's and MI's. Electric the way to go.

However in the OP's case this does not appear to be the scenario, street pressure is fine and the service is partially blocked (checking neighbouring properties w.p is always a good idea).

My job is to ensure that all after & including the gas meter is safe

Yup - including 'safe' working pressure according to the MI of all the appliances connected and 19mB as an 'industry agreed' backstop.

So exactly what part of what I wrote did you disagree with?

And (assuming that you WERE aware of the origins and consequences of supply pressure problems upstream from the meter), what remains to have an argument about?

I can't believe this stretched to 4 pages... :rolleyes: The OP's kind of problem is just too easy to identify for it to be needed - and certainly didn't need to descend into all this sniping

FFS grow up will you!

[
quote="croydoncorgi"]The point to note about this is the effective SIZE (as well as condition) of the service pipe (street to meter).

I don`t care.

Transco / National Grid practice is to 'line' old and unserviceable steel pipes with (yellow) MDPE, from street to meter when they're re-piping the street, or from meter to street when there's an individual supply problem.

I don`t care

As a result, MANY service pipes in UK consist of a steel pipe which may be in a dodgy condition and partially blocked / collapsed,

I don`t care. It`s absolutely nothing to do with me as a gas fitter. If there is a problem at the meter & I cannot get the pressures I`m supposed to, I will go through the process of elimination, if I establish that it is the incoming supply, fine ,thats were my job ends.

I don`t care.

You may wish to bore/try to impress everyone about how much you know about sizes/conditions etc of service pipes, you are a self indulgent fool.
I don`t care about what you know.
I care about what I need to know.

Dan_Robinson said:
I can't believe this stretched to 4 pages... :rolleyes: The OP's kind of problem is just too easy to identify for it to be needed - and certainly didn't need to descend into all this sniping

FFS grow up will you!

Keep out of it Dan the Man, we got sum heavy sh*it goin` down here. :evil:

All you've done most recently is illustrate how little you 'care' about.

Maybe it would be easier to explain to your customers why a pressure problem lay with National Grid and not with your work, if you actually KNEW what the probable cause was?

And customers (believe it or not) are not all so ignorant / unintelligent that they will accept everything you tell them as the complete truth, without any evidence or explanation.

Apart from my comments so far, I've nothing further to add, so please go and troll somewhere else.

croydoncorgi said:
All you've done most recently is illustrate how little you 'care' about.

I don`t care about you droning on about service pipes/ how they are laid blah -de-blah.

Maybe it would be easier to explain to your customers why a pressure problem lay with National Grid and not with your work, if you actually KNEW what the probable cause was?

I don`t usually have pressure problems, if I do & it`s down to the gas provider I`ll probably let them explain.

And customers (believe it or not)

Yep, I don`t believe you have customers

are not all so ignorant / unintelligent that they will accept everything you tell them as the complete truth, without any evidence or explanation.

Mostly they ask ``Do I have Hot water/Heating. Mostly I say ``Yes``.

Apart from my comments so far, I've nothing further to add, so please go and troll somewhere else.

You never had anything to add in the first place. After your first snipe it all rather went downhill didn`t it?

You are a man of straw CroydonCorgi.
& a man with no spine. Next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back