low level shower tray trap question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
I am in the process of sorting out my mums shower cubical and replacing the tiles for a showerwall paneling system ,anyway i done some research yesterday about shower trays just incase i had to remove the tray ,but i found that the waste trap should be easy to access ,but because my mums shower tray is a low level tray i cant see how i can get to the trap if we need to .

IMG_20120107_114430.jpg

IMG_20120107_114419.jpg

So is this alright or does it need to be raised or can you access it somehow and i just cant see how.?

Also i dont know if anybody can make a suggestion but the cubical has a sliding door on it does it matter which side the door goes on,because it was original on the opposite side of the shower head because my mum had complained about water being on the outside of the door after a shower a she wondered becuase the shower water hits the seal of the sliding door and said if we changed it so the door was on the same side of the shower it would happen.
So is the a right way and a wrong way?

Anyway i hope you can understand all this and all the help is appreciated thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Wow, I think that's possibly two of the longest sentences I've ever had to read. Did nobody teach you about punctuation!?

As for the shower trap, unless you need to take the tray out there is no reason why you should need to get at it. It can be accessed from the top for maintenance by removing the grate. If you want to take the shower tray out, you'll have to unscrew the fitting in the tray from the trap, then pull it out. This might be quite difficult to do if it's been siliconed in. If you don't want to remove the tray, but do want to get to the underside of the trap, you'll have to cut a hole in your ceiling downstairs (assuming this shower is upstairs of course). Having said that, if the tray has been fitted properly, the chances of you managing to lift it up in one piece are fairly slim.

If it's a decent door it doesn't make a difference which way round it goes, the seals will still keep the water in. If it's a cheap nasty thing that's getting a bit old and the seals are knackered, take the opportunity to chuck it in a skip and get a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back