Low Pro Shower Tray and Pivot Door, will it flood the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have got an unvented Cylinder, so get good water pressure and am about to replace a 25 year old Mira shower and tray.

I know i need to raise the shower tray to ensure I can get access to the shower trap by about 100mm, but wanted to fit a low profile tray so there isn't a massive step up into the shower when the tray is raised and fitted.

I hope to fit a 45mm profile tray, with the larger 90mm waste and then a frameless pivot door, my concern is though how do I know if the tray will overspill, due to the throughput of the shower exceeding the amount of waste water that can be carried away?? or is there little to be concerned about??

Are there any recommendations of the best trays to get, it needs to be 1000x800mm.

I am new to the forum, so sorry if this is the wrong place or a stupid question, it all seemed pretty simple when I first looked at it, but after investigation I have a lot of un-answered questions!!!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
No reason why it can't be mounted on the floor, assuming you can get the waste away, modern shower traps are designed so you can service them from the top and don't need access from underneath.

Good quality trays have highflow traps so you shouldn't have a problem there provided you have the correct fall and size on the waste pipe run.

Look at Kudos trays and enclosures, really good quality stuff and available in the size you want too http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/traystyle.php?style=2 If you do need to raise it up then the Kudos Concept easy fit kits are among the best I've come across http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/plinth.php

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at the Kudos. With regards to your comment above about the correct fall and size on the waste pipe run I will have is a 1/2" pipe which runs for 2 metres before connecting to the main soil pipe, the drop across this distance will be approx 6" across the 2 metres. Do you think that will be enough?

No reason why it can't be mounted on the floor, assuming you can get the waste away, modern shower traps are designed so you can service them from the top and don't need access from underneath.

Good quality trays have highflow traps so you shouldn't have a problem there provided you have the correct fall and size on the waste pipe run.

Look at Kudos trays and enclosures, really good quality stuff and available in the size you want too http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/traystyle.php?style=2 If you do need to raise it up then the Kudos Concept easy fit kits are among the best I've come across http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/plinth.php[/QUOTE]

Kudos is good gear, but I also like the Mira Flight trays, lightweight & the best bit; you can stick em down with silicone. Saves messing around with mortar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at the Kudos. With regards to your comment above about the correct fall and size on the waste pipe run I will have is a 1/2" pipe which runs for 2 metres before connecting to the main soil pipe, the drop across this distance will be approx 6" across the 2 metres. Do you think that will be enough?

I think you may have made a mistake there mate, should it be 1½" pipe?? Are you also saying you have a gradiant of 150mm in 2 Meters, Jeez!! That's a bit steep!!??

Assuming you mean 1½ pipe that's fine, and the fall is more than enough although perfectly acceptable.

Gradiant would be better 25mm in 1M or it may 'pull' the trap.

Building regs recommendation is 44mm per metre Puller, 25mm is getting very close to the minimum permissible fall

Building regs recommendation is 44mm per metre Puller, 25mm is getting very close to the minimum permissible fall

Can't see where you keep getting 44mm from.
have you a link ?

In the regs it 18mm - 90mm.
Been that way for yrs.

Indeed Seco, but you will notice that fittings such as tees, swept elbows and the like are set to incorporate a 2.5º fall, IE they're 87.5º bends not 90º bends. 2.5º is a gradient of 44mm per metre (well, it's actually 43.66mm per metre if you want to be realy picky, but 44mm is accurate enough...)

I have also found that the MX Group also do a stone resin shower tray 1000x800 in Durastone, but at a more reasonable price than Kudos, has anybody had any experience with these? If so what are they like?

Don't even come close in quality - you originally asked "are there any recommendations of the best trays"...are you now thinking that maybe this is not what you want? You get what you pay for, buy cheap get cheap

We intend on living in the house for a while, as we bought as a project to do up, so want to maintain the quality throughout, it was only that the Kudos trays were double the price of the MX, wondered if there was much in it at all!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back