Low-level toilet cistern doesn't flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem began in December last year. we had some work completed at home in the front garden and the workman burst a water pipe. whether it was a coincidence or not, it changed the water pressure in our pipes.

We had to adjust the pressure in our toilet cistern as the overflow was leaking but then found we couldnt flush the toilet, it has been very temperamental since. Sometimes there is pressure to flush, sometimes not.

Since last night now we can't flush it at all, even when the water is filled up in the cistern.

Is it possible just one of the parts needs replacing, if so, does anyone have any idea which part that might be? I have heard it can be very expensive to call a plumber in to fix.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I will now going to find out what the diaphram looks like and look to replace this first and if that doesn't work will change the whole syphon.

I think I should get myself on a course to learn the basics of plumbing, as my husband is just no DIY expert, he'd rather call a plumber out and spend £200 that fix it himself!

Kind regards,
Michele

Diaphram is just a shaped plastic membrane about 1 mm thick that fits on the bottom of your syphon.

Cost you less than a dollar but check that you can get it out without having to dismantle the cistern as some syphons do unclip to get them out :D

Sponsored Links
Plumbing is women's work ;)

Personally I would fit a new syphon rather than tinker about mending the old one. They are not expensive. measure the old one and get the same size. But you can then repair the old syphon at your leisure and keep it as a spare for next time. I happen to like Flapper valves which are very simple and IMO good a good strong, quiet flush. Opinions differ. IANAP.

You can get a DIY encyclopedia from the library (or bookshop, but they are quite expensive) which will tell you almost everything you need to know.

Colins, Readers Digest, Which and I think the AA (?) do good ones.

Make sure you get an up-to-date edition though a year or two old is OK for everything except electrics which had a rule change in 2005

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back