low pitch roof

Sponsored Links
Is it possible for a low wall parapet roof with fibreglass on the flat roof?

The reason I wanted that shallow angle was to continue the line of a cantilevered canopy I currently have, and planned to reattach.

But I'm not going to be able to reattach it, as the support members are too deep. I might end up with a shorter one, which won't have such deep supports, but the slope will be the same, however having thought about what we'll be able to see from the garden I'm not as worried about the pitch of the roof matching that of the canopy as I once was.

Sponsored Links
The reason I wanted that shallow angle was to continue the line of a cantilevered canopy I currently have, and planned to reattach.

But I'm not going to be able to reattach it, as the support members are too deep. I might end up with a shorter one, which won't have such deep supports, but the slope will be the same, however having thought about what we'll be able to see from the garden I'm not as worried about the pitch of the roof matching that of the canopy as I once was.
I don't quite understand the above. Do you want to join the roof to the cantilevered canopy?

Top sketch shows what I currently have. The canopy has a pitch of 10°

canopy1kd8.jpg

The bottom one shows what I wanted to achieve - I imagined that provided there was a way to stop water running up the underside of the lowest ones that the tiles would overlap the canopy as shown, but I never got as far as finding out if that would be the way to do it.

As I said - it was a purely aesthetic desire - I just thought it would look better if the canopy and the roof had the same pitch, but having realised that we wouldn't spend much time standing in the driveway admiring the consistency of line, I'm not so bothered now.

I think that I would still want the bottom tiles to overlap the canopy though.

I suppose you could use a cladding profile called Start & Edge Trim with waterproof sealant onto the canopy sheet then rest the tiles over that, it's similar to lead flashing on the gully

dec1020.jpg

The canopy sheets are thin - it's not that multi-wall polycarbonate stuff...

I know I have them on my property and I was told they are very strong fibreglass sheet unless yours is difference, maybe give them a ring and they may have some idea, maybe a metal profile self-tap to the of the brackets the same way the sheets are fitted.

I have worked on many vast commercial buildings with a roof slope less than 10 degrees. (Cannot remember exactly). Many of these used profiled aluminium sheets which came in lengths over 6m. Not very handsome, but keep the rain out. Just take a look at some recent warehouse units on an industrial estate.

Reasonable alternative is to board the roof and lay EPDM rubber sheet. I am not sure of the maximum slope the adhesive will hold the sheet down, but it may be an answer.

Beeches.

You can try looking at Dupont Tyvek. This is available from most good builders merchants. Take a look at their details on line they have the all important BBA certificate showing how to detail a roof membrane below minimum pitch using 2 layers with a good lap between sheets.

Doing it this way keeps the construction simple, allows the roof structure to breathe and keeps the roof water tight.

For added peace of mind you could lay 9mm marine ply down on top of your rafters, then your roof membranes, battens running down the slope of the roof then counter battens accross for your tiles to fix to.

Hi i have been told i have a low pitch roof and have the wrong tiles on it for that pitch, could you tell me what sort of tiles in need.
there is a new system from Permavent called the easy roof system that will put all natural slates down to a pitch as low as 12.5degrees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back