Low Pressure advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would really appreciate some help on this problem we have.
We have low pressure and the current bath/shower mixer gives a very poor flow rate. The plumber from the waterboard suggested we have our own mains supply put in (we\\\'re currently on a shared supply with the neighbour), however would the right electric shower not just do the trick? We have a combi boiler, just about 1 bar pressure and no water tank.

Thanks any advice would be great.
Steven

Sponsored Links
Ask the local water board what the pressure is in the street? If this is only 1 bar then your own supply will not help. Did plumber confirm no blockages in your stop cock (inside and out) and that they are on full when you think they are?

You will be limited to a lower power electric shower due to this low pressure.

I have a property with a shared supply, comes across my garden from neighbour's kitchen.

Its not the pressure of 1 bar which in itself would not cause any problem but its probably linked to a poor flow rate. Did he measure that?

Mine is only 0.6 Bar static and 6 li/min which is pretty useless but within the supplier's legal minimum to supply.

In some areas ( not mine ) they may provide a free street connection to your own supply so you would only have to do the work in your own property.

Tony

Thanks for v.much for the replies.

He tested the flow and pressure. The flow at the stop clock on the street was fine. Can't remember exactly how much (i'm new to all of this) but he showed me the flow based on filling up this piece of equipment he had and showing how many times it filled up in a minute or so? It was above average.

He checked the stop cock inside and out and said it's all set right.

He just said that new pipes would be larger 25mm than current and our own supply would improve it further. We've both spoke to the neighbour who's lived there 25 years and he says it's always been bad. If he knew we were having a shower he wouldn't be able to because of the flow rates etc.

I was all set for having a new supply but i'm not sure what to do now. Not sure if a decent electric would increase the flow in the shower?

Sponsored Links
Its a pity you did not note the flow rate!

If the water flow rate is poor then it does not matter how you heat it because its not going to improve the flow rate.

My only advice is to get your own connection.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply again. I have a feeling he said that the min or average flow rate is 10/litres and ours was 40?... maybe I have this wrong but I know for sure that it is fine at street level. I think then that a new connection is our remaining option.

Steven

Pressure and flow are not the same.
eg A bucket of water over your head is a lot of flow but no pressure.

A new supply would make no difference whatsoever to the pressure when there's no flow, and even with a shiny new pipe you'll have some trouble with a shower at only 1 bar.

You can measure your flow in the house - turn kitchen cold and outside tap cold on together and see how much water you get in a minute. Is that 10 litres say?
Fluctuation due to your neighbours would of course eliminated with your own supply. Is a loft tank a possibility?

For Flow you'd need a gauge to measure(£12)

A shower off your combi may be the best bet. What combi is it?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, very interesting

You say that if there's no flow then a new connection would be no good. I'm sure when the plumber tested the flow rate it was above average at street level so I think what he's saying is that coming away from a shared supply and new pipings will sort all this out..? I'm assuming he's suggesting this knowing that the flow is okay (I know I seem unsure but either way he didn't say we had a problem with flow just that pressure was bad and this is the same for the neighbours..)

Maybe I should call the plumber back and get an idea for what exactly the flow rate is... or test it myself as you say.

Getting confused on what the solution is!...

We have a Ravenheat LS80/100 LITTLE STAR - COMBI BOILER. I wouldn't have an idea about a loft tank or how much it could end up costing. I don't see why it's not an option though.

what chris is saying is the standing pressure (all taps off) will not alter

the working pressure might be better and the flowrate certainly should be ;)

kevplumb said:
what chris is saying is the standing pressure (all taps off) will not alter

the working pressure might be better and the flowrate certainly should be ;)

Echo that, a new (single) supply should increase flowrate. The poor flow will more than likely be due to a rough & narrow internal bore of a lead pipe or galvanised tube.

New blue poly is smoother and larger bore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back