Low Resistance on IR Testing

As you would expect I get >999

Not looking good and the whole house is wired up with this

Sponsored Links
I sure did just on the chance. More hoping etc. What a nightmare, almost impossible to pull all that cable out now.

Think I need a drink

What do you get when you test at 500v (I see you were testing at 250)
What manufacturer name on the cable -- if none then 'nuf said

Sponsored Links
From a brief read of this thread, I would suggest the issue is just one of moisture trapped behind the accessories - the switches and sockets etc.. Try undoing the fixing screws and dropping them forwards, clear of their boxes, to allow the damp to evaporate.

From a brief read of this thread, I would suggest the issue is just one of moisture trapped behind the accessories - the switches and sockets etc.. Try undoing the fixing screws and dropping them forwards, clear of their boxes, to allow the damp to evaporate.
That theory has been discussed - but how could it explain the low IR readings when an unused reel of cable was tested?

Kind Regards, John

The problem is i tested a reel that was left over and that is still pulling in a low reading.

but how could it explain the low IR readings when an unused reel of cable was tested?

Sorry, I said I had skimmed through. It would not explain it - I would guess the Meggar has issues, rather than the cable then. Have you established the Meggar is showing infinity with nothing connected?

Zap the part coil or an isolated section on 1000volt preferably in the dark, sometimes you see the cable tracking across

Not what I want to hear, nightmare. Strange how all reels have produced same result, im stuck with what to do now.

I was suggesting it is very unlikely the cable is faulty - does the Meggar show infinity when tested with nothing connected?

The other possibility is nails and screws through cables, but usually they will produce very low Ohms and unlikely whoever managed to hit every circuit anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back