Low retaining wall quote - bit pricey?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing an existing low flower bed retaining wall and replacing it with a smaller one. It will be quadrant shaped with the existing footings used for the straight part and new footings for the curve, which is a 5m curve. Total new brickwork is 13m long and 4 courses high with 300mm block walling. I have to say I was totally impressed with the builder, very pleasant, professional, detailed and I am confident in terms of doing the job well but ......
It involves:-
Removing and disposing of the existing four courses and 0.5m cubed excess soil. The wall comes down easily he said and just one skip required.(£200) Can't see how that could take more than a couple of hours for two people. Then the new 5m of footings and build quadrant wall, 13m total length and four courses high. I'm supplying all bricks.
Cost £1500 for labour incl skip and supply of footing materials. Location, Essex.

Sponsored Links
Get another couple of quotes then, you'll be able to make comparisons.

fairly detailed .
who supplies the concrete and sand cement?

Builder supplies concrete and mortar. Would that cost much for 240 bricks and a 5m by 300mm footing. More than a £100?
It's not that I mind paying if it is reasonable but I don't want to pay a premium for a good job. Every job should be a good job, that's workmanship not cost.

Sponsored Links
Get another couple of quotes then, you'll be able to make comparisons.

This, the only way you will know what is reasonable for your area to get at least 3 quotes. The more the better. Though don't go with the cheapest, go with who you think would do the best job.

Gets a bit tedious. The other one hasn't got back to me. Just thought might be a bricky on here who might have a pretty good idea. Can't see one four course wall and footings of known length is going to be much different to another!

if your anything like the some of the jobs i price , you probably told him “i’ve already had a quote for a grand”
and he thought yeah good luck then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back