Low voltage ceailing light. Humming transformer and no light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a cheap halogen pendant light fitting from Argos about 3 weeks ago.

It was a Kappa (what a name) 6 Light Ceiling Fitting - Chrome Finish number 4320827.

The light has been working fine in the living room until about 2 hours ago when it just cut out.

When turned on there is a slight hum from the transformer but no more than before and there is no other signs of life.

Do these things normally get hot? The light has been off for ages but is still warm to touch.

I was hoping there was some heat cutoff or a fuse inside.

Any advice? That doesn't say buy a real light from a real shop ;)

Ta

Deskmonkey

PS. does having a Kappa light make my house a chav?

PPS. Edit. Damn these useless fingers!

Sponsored Links
Transformers do run warm yes.

There may be a thermal cut off or fuse also.

Where is the transformer? Does it have free air around it or is it covered up at all (by insulation etc)

i suspect the transformer has failed the ones in those cheap kits tend to be really s*****y

best bet is probablly to get a new transformer from an electrical wholesaler or lighting supplier.

trying to get a refund/replacement from argos is probablly not worth it. if you go for a refund then you will end up having to find another light that will fit whatever hole you made, if you go for a replacement then you will just end up with another cheap s*****y transformer.

Sponsored Links
i used to work at argos couple of years ago. they give refunds for anything. take it back and get a different one.

Sounds like a built in transformer so unless you can get at the output wires of the tranny, to snip them and connect them to a tranny fitted in the ceiling void, you will have to take the fitting back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back