Low Voltage :lights/wiring/transformer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All
I have the following problem with my low voltage lighting:

I have a Varilight twin dimmer downstairs and a varilight single slave dimmer at top of my stairs. I have 3 x 50w lV halogen lights downstairs and 3 upstairs. These were working properly until two days ago when non of the lights were coming up. I changed the double dimmer light as I thought it was a problem with that, then some of the lights were not lighting up. I changed the transformer with halolite 50-105w transformer for downstairs and all the 50W lights go through this transformer. All the lights downstirs are working but non of the upstairs ones are coming on, so I changed the upstairs transformers to the same model as I though the transfomer for upstairs had gone and when I switch it on the lights downstairs started to flashing and nothing happened upstirs. I turned the mains off and on and downstirs is working and no lights is coming on upstairs. Im not sure whether I have a major problem with my wiring or its the light switch that is faulty. I am thinking of changing the slave from upstairs but don't want to spend 20 pound or so till im sure. I have wired the master double dimmer wires as Live to Live, neutral to neutral and S to S (with a piece of wire) hope this is a right way for double dimmer master downstirs and single slave upstairs (this is so I can turn the upstirs lights on form both downstirs and upstiars) .

I hope I am making sense as I am not sure about electrics and I think I done everyhtign I could.

Can some one help please.

Much Appreciate it

Sponsored Links
For a start, 3x50 = 150w so a 105w transformer is too small.
In domestics LV is usually referred to as mains voltage, 12v is ELV or Extra Low Voltage which I suspect you have?
You need to match the transformers to the dimmers too as some dimmers operate slightly differently to others.
You also don't normally have neutral connected at a switch?

I tried connecting two lights and still the same result. Any help will be apprecite it

First thing will be to temporarily strap out the dimmers or replace them with standard switches.
You then wil know if your problem is lamps&transformers or dimmers.

At the moment you are p***ing in the dark. (excuse the pun)

Sponsored Links
some pictures may help. what did you have installed before this and did it work?

what are the minimum and maximum ratings of the dimmers, i am not familiar with the ones you have used although you cant use most dimmers on a two way switch without having a normal switch at one end (eg not two dimmers on a two way) Are these dimmers suitable for it?
Also you dont mention that there are correct connections for two way switching as you have described it with L, N & SL

They are Varilight dimmers. Even on two way circuit you need a master and a slave and 3-core and earth cable between them.

So your

you cant use most dimmers on a two way switch without having a normal switch at one end (eg not two dimmers on a two way)
is not true for Varilight. With respect 1John, maybe its best not to post unless you know what yr talking about or you'll just confuse things..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back