Low voltage kitchen downlighters advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I am replacing my kitchen ceiling and I want to remove my 4ft fluorescent light and install some downlighters to create a brighter modern look.

I have looked at different products. Can someone advise me whether I should be looking at the low voltage lights or the mains type? I want the light but don't want to pay for it. Maybe I have answered my question but whats the difference. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have two choices

GU10 mains or low voltage, the wattage used will initiate cost and GU10 make 1w led bulbs if you wanted to use, in my opinion i prefer low voltage for the following reasons, can use 2 core as no earthing required, can be dimmed and more choice of bulbs available.

low voltage or extra low voltage?
Your domestic supply voltage is likely to be the 230V type this is known as low voltage any voltage between 51-1000V ac is low voltage, extra low voltage does not exceed 50V ac.

Sponsored Links
if you dont want to pay for it then you should leave your strip light as it uses about as much power as ONE 50W spot light, and that one spotlight will not be very bright.

50W is still 50W..
so 12V or 240V it makes no odds.. you're still using the same power..

although with 12v you're probably using more as you get losses with the "transformer"..

if you want a more modern look, try a designer fluorescent instead..

Thanks all for your swift reply. I hadn't thought of the designer option florecsent lighting. I will now be able to choose my lighting with confidence!
Cheers

GU10 mains or low voltage, the wattage used will initiate cost and GU10 make 1w led bulbs if you wanted to use, in my opinion i prefer low voltage for the following reasons, can use 2 core as no earthing required, can be dimmed and more choice of bulbs available.
Yes, but you are an incompetent and ignorant charlatan, so what you prefer is of no interest or value to anyone else.

You have two choices

This isn't correct, you CAN dim 230V AND 12V halogen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back