low voltage led spotlights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i've just ordered some led mr16 low voltage spotlights on ebay for my kitchen like this
30106561828600000025_2.jpg
. from the advert it says that the brighter ones don't have a glass lens (i assume so they don/t get too hot) my convern is are lights like this ok in the bathroom with no lens, bearing in mind they're 12v?

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A bathroom should always have a bathroom rated fitting installed, so the front of the lamp would never be exposed anyway.

As they are unbranded ones from eBay, I suggest when they arrive you immediately chuck them in the bin, and then buy some reputable ones - they will be a whole lot better.

Thanks for the reply. I thought the ones in the bathroom were the same as in the kitchen, but having checked they are bathroom ones with a sealed glass lens.

As far as the quality of the eBay ones, a friend bought these exact ones from the same supplier and says they are very good, and only about £26 for 10No 6W mr16. What's likely to be the issue with these?

Sponsored Links
As they are unbranded ones from eBay, I suggest when they arrive you immediately chuck them in the bin, and then buy some reputable ones - they will be a whole lot better.

Bit over the top that.

However having no lens means there are exposed live parts on each end of every LED. Not really a problem for 12v units, but I have seen 240v units like this.

I doubt they are not waterproof.

Halogen lamps only have a glass front because they explode.
Not sure about the Maths of the English here but I read this as saying you think they are waterproof with the double negative.

One does it matter with 12 volt. Heat likely to ensure they evaporate any splashes but the problem with all 12 volt LED lamps is not the lamp but the supply. I have a toroidal transformer supplying 4 in my bath room and they have failed. I have wondered is lamp is AC or DC not marked. And with switched mode power supplies often they have a minimum output greater than the LED lamps.

A bathroom should always have a bathroom rated fitting installed, so the front of the lamp would never be exposed anyway.

The brand is "Excellent Sourcing" and are listed as suitable for bathroom. I have found it is the well known brands which cause the problem my Philips 8W globe CFL were useless failing very quickly the unbranded ones are still going fine.

OK I will admit there are some brands I keep clear of like Ikea as it would seem no built in fuse so with 16A supply when they blow they weld the contacts with there 6W CFL but really my fault for using 16A MCB should have been 6A.

Personally I would shop in Lidi or Aldi then I can take them back if they don't work.

A bathroom should always have a bathroom rated fitting installed

Always?
Define bathroom. Is it a locations containing a fixed bath (bath tub) or shower or are we using Part P with is it 600mm around shower or looking at the zones 0, 1 or 2?

If the ceiling is 2.25 meters high then it is in the main outside zone 2 and lights fitted in a ceiling would be well out of harms way.

On suite showers do cause a problem with the 3 meter rule personally I would not consider fitting bathroom fittings into a bedroom where a shower is fitted where the shower cubical has good extraction and is a meter or so away from the main light.

We do have to use some common sense and my bathroom from original build still as a standard ceiling rose and pendent lamp although now all power is 30ma RCD protected.

I have used bathrooms under stair cases and in roof spaces where sloping ceilings resulted is lights very close to the bath or shower and really do need special lights. And with my mothers wet room and power shower I have washed down the walls and ceiling so to me even if over the 2.25 meter limit it still needs water resistant lamps. But in my house I would never dream of washing down walls and ceiling with shower head.

My daughters flat also has a wet room. No shower head and no bath fitted just a tap and a non fixed plastic bowl (Turkey) so according to regulations this is not a locations containing a fixed bath (bath tub) or shower so one could fit 16A sockets but to do so would be daft.

As I said needs some common sense rather than quoting regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back