Low voltage light problem.

I've have a light with the same transformer that blew, its a B&Q jobby with eight ice cube style lights on arms.

The TLC LT YT105 transformer mentioned above just fits inside the enclosure, I had the hacksaw ready to cut down the long threaded bolt that holds the old transformer in, but after removing a large nut I discovered its actually two lengths joined by the nut, so no cutting required :) The thin nut that holds the old transformer can then replace the deep nut to hold the fitting together, leaving just enough room for the new transformer.

Breezer, yes these lights have cheap tatt transformers, but when the fitting cost £100 15 months ago, why the hell would I want to throw it in the bin and go out and spend even more on a quality item, that'll probably have another cheapo transformer in it? Plus I like the fitting, hence why I chose it, so why would I want to buy something else thats different. We did look and couldn't find anything we preferred.

And on the hijacking note, if anyone types in SET105CV into Google after opening their dud light, this is the first result. Its a valuable thread that has helped many people out, and presumably loads more that never registered on the forum. If each person had started a new thread, there wouldn't be this discussion and I'd have bought a slightly larger transformer online that I now know wouldn't have fitted. And I'd have never found those round transformers, though unfortunately they are out of stock until April.

This is the only forum I know of that frowns on old threads being revived, (even if it is just policed by a couple of members) most other places you'd get jumped on and told to use the search function before posting, its often listed in the rules that your search before posting!

Sponsored Links
The Eaglerise SET105CV transformer is common to BHS and Argos halogen light fittings, They are poor quality and seem to always burn out after just 1 years use !! usually just after the warrenty has expired !! :rolleyes:

There is a good quality replacement made by aurora model number RD105, which is available from www.nlandc.co.uk and www.lamps2udirect.com.
The 2 cables can easily be removed from the Eaglecrise model and fitted to the Auroa RD105 transfomer.
It seem s a shame to through away a nice light fitting just because the transformer has gone.

Exactly the same problem as the other people in this thread. Bought the light from homebase, it was over a year old and still running with all 10 original bulbs then the transformer just let go. Its a really nice light so will be ordering the dimmer compatible transformer :D

002DaveG thank you for your links.

Well, she found the receipt and they are just out of warranty.

Took the light apart this evening to try to find the problem and the only way I can replicate the continuity flicker is with my hand touching the light so I guess that my hand is providing the slight continuity path (9v tester).

The transformer fuse may be the cause of the problems, in blowing it spread metal/molten glass around the transformer.

Anyone any ideas where I can get a similar round transformer??

If you are competent with electronics, and soldering, you can repair it. You will probably find that the 2 power transistors are shorted. Replace them with two BUH 150 (RS stock No. 544.9494). These are higher spec transistors that should last!

I expect you will also need two 2 ohm resistors that are connected to the base terminals of the transistors. You will also need to replace the fuse. Use a 2.5 amp solid state fuse (RS Stock No. 226-0715), these are 54p each, and you have to buy 10. See if you can source them elsewhere.

If you are not confident in doing this, then buy a replacement unit from www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/fullProd.php/Aurora-RD105-Round-Transformer/67594

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back