low voltage lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to put some low voltage lighting into my kitchen cabinets. The lights in question are actually plug in ones.

As i'm going to have three seperate sets of lights (under cabs, in cabs, above cabs.

Can i hang a 3gang extension from the lighting ring for this given that i'm powering lighting only from it and am also looking to be able to turn them on and off from the light switch?

It may be an obvious answer, buy hey, not to me

Sponsored Links
No, you should not.

If by "plug in ones" you mean that they've come with a "wall-wart" transformer, then I agree this makes life awkward, but basically the product you've bought has not been properly designed to run off a lighting circuit.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure that you mean by "wall-wart", but they have a separate transformer and plug.

If this is still not the way to do things, can you suggest anything that would mean i'm able to use a switch on the wall.

Is it possible to hang this off the main sockets ring and then have a separate light switch for this application, possibly clearly marked that its on the sockets ring and not the lighting ring?

thanks

If the plug is not part of the transformer, you could wire them directly off the lighting circuit.

What do the instructions say?

Sponsored Links
thanks securespark.

the lights in question are from ikea......very little by way of instructions other than 'plug un and switch on'

do i take it that from your reply you just suggest i snip off the plug and maybe connect all three together via a juncion box and then work it into the lighting ring from there?

thanks for all your help

cheers

Cut the plugs off and connect into the lighting circuit. Do the plugs have 3A fuses in them? Does your CU have fuses or circuit breakers?

Do you know how lighting circuits are wired - i.e. do you know where to connect these so that they go on and off as required?

thanks ban-all-sheds.

the plugs do all have 3a fuses in the plug and the CU has MCB's.

i am aware of how to wire up the lighting side of it, my worry was more a case of should i be doing it.

i take it that there's no issue with tying them into JB and then going on from there. the 3 sets of lights dont need to be switched individually, just all as one . the main idea being that i ultimately have a 3gang swtich on my kitchen wall.

1 Main kitchen lights
2 Outside light
3 Cabinet lights

Thanks for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back