low voltage wedge lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

i've got 3 sets of low voltage wedge lights.Each set comes with 2x20w lamps and a transformer. A friend has asked me to fit them for him but he wants them all working off a 2 gang light switch. 1 gang is already being used for the ceiling lights. It says in the instructions that they must be connected to a 3 amp fcu.

My questions are:

1. Can they all be connected to the spare light switch? If yes then how?

2. do I have to use a fcu?

3. If I do have to use a fcu can I use the existing lighting circuit as the supply to the fcu and do i then connect all 3 transformers to the load side of the fcu?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
ravey1 said:
Hi people

i've got 3 sets of low voltage wedge lights.Each set comes with 2x20w lamps and a transformer. A friend has asked me to fit them for him but he wants them all working off a 2 gang light switch. 1 gang is already being used for the ceiling lights. It says in the instructions that they must be connected to a 3 amp fcu.

My questions are:

1. Can they all be connected to the spare light switch? If yes then how?

2. do I have to use a fcu?

3. If I do have to use a fcu can I use the existing lighting circuit as the supply to the fcu and do i then connect all 3 transformers to the load side of the fcu?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Dan

1) not normally since a switch usually has live and switch wire, you need live and neutral

2) to comply with makers instructions yes

3 yes

I know that you have to obey manufacturer's instructions to comply with regs essentially, but why are they all sticking this FCU malarkey in their destructions? You dont have to run LV downlighters off a spur!

Technically, if you can get a neutral to the fittings off the same circuit as the live (obvious but i'm arse covering here so nobody takes a neutral out of a nearby socket!) you should be able to just wire them up as light fittings. Its not because they need a neutral that they need a spur, after all, not many light fittings work without a neutral! Except three phase ones, hmmmmm induction lighting, i like it!

I suppose the isolation element is attractive with the spur, seeing as you can touch the fittings, but you can touch most wall lights without stretching too, and a spur next to every uplighter wouldnt be popular!

Rant over, discuss!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back