Low water pressure 8th floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while, found a lot of useful information.

I have a problem with low cold water pressure in a top floor flat. It is on the 8th floor of a ex-council estate block. Both hot and cold water are supplied, so I don't have any boilers or tanks at all.

Now, I have a very thin pipe (15 mm) with cold water that above all is metre and a half long and has several bends. It was made to avoid using a broken mains stop valve, so it is connected to the stop valve of the sink and then goes to the shower.

The question is: will the pressure be better if I connect it without this long pipe? I am planning to replace the broken stop valve and connect the shower directly to the dedicated mains. Will this help?

If it will not, I know that I cannot use a shower pump or an electric shower with integrated pump because these do not allow direct connection to the mains. These pumps require a cold water tank. Can I install one in my bathroom? Any ideas how much might this cost? How big it needs to be?

By the way I have already tried a shower pump and it didn't help. So I think it is true that they generally do not work if connected directly to the mains.

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine that your "mains" water is actually from a tank above your flat. A typical system would have water tanks at roof level, since mains pressure would not be enough to reach up 8 floors. That would give you so-so pressure and then flats lower down probably need pressure reducers. Or there may be tanks at different levels through the building.

I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine that your "mains" water is actually from a tank above your flat. A typical system would have water tanks at roof level, since mains pressure would not be enough to reach up 8 floors. That would give you so-so pressure and then flats lower down probably need pressure reducers. Or there may be tanks at different levels through the building.

Maybe you're right and I should try with a different pump... Mine (called Triton T40) didn't make any difference. Thank you!

Does anyone know what is the difference between negative head, positive head and right pumps? Which one should I use if I am going to put in near the shower and the water tanks are far away somewhere on the roof?

Sponsored Links
A negative head pump is designed to pump water from a level below the output. A positive head pump is designed to pump water from a level above the outlet, which is your situation (I assume).

I believe that Right is simply a brand name of pumps made by Salamander.

The Triton T40 is pretty feeble really, although I suppose that depends on your expectations.

An educated guess, I would agree too- check with the council -even if they sold the whole block they usually keep the freehold / maintenance obligation :idea:

I do a lot of maintence on blocks of flats, the ones I work on at least upto the 9th floor have twin supplies - a rising mains that serves the CW on the kitchen sink and also all the HW in the flat (combis), the other supply comes from a tank in the lift room for the toilet, bath CW and WHB CW, above the 9th floor there is only one supply that does the H+C throughout the flat but upto the 12th floor the pressure is only .8 bar, the only way to get around it is too either fit a pump or a shower with built in pump designed to work below 1 bar becuase normal showers will not work - if I remember, the last electric shower I fitted was a mira one, think it cost £240

I have a very thin pipe (15 mm).... .....It was made to avoid using a broken mains stop valve.....

What size was the original plumbing that has been bypassed with this 15mm pipe?

a larger pipe will not increase the water pressure, but it may substantially increase the flow with the low water pressure available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back