Low Water Pressure

You're not getting me. Your pressure is coming from your 165l accumulator which is not only feeding your hot water tank but also the cold to your shower(s) ?. So for just one mixer shower you will indeed be using the full 16l/m from the accumulator which will run out in just 10 mins and the pressure will revert to mains pressure. It will be even worse for two showers.

Sponsored Links
The maximun pressure the accumulator can provide is the same as the highest peak of pressure on the incoming mains. To have a pressure greater than the mains will require a pump of some sort.

Sponsored Links
Ok I see your point now but I can’t fit anything bigger in.... surely there’s a way to feed two showers (one mixer one electric)

So what’s the answer? Even with an unvented I still have the same problem? I’m really confused now

Even with an unvented I still have the same problem

Where my cousin lives the mains pressure for several houses at the top of a hill is dependent on a water company's booster pump halfway down the hill. Mains failure at the pump means virtually zero pressure and very low flow.

Their solution is a large cold water tank in the loft to provide water at a good flow rate irrespective of the incoming pressure and flow. It refills as and when there is enough pressure in the supply mains to get water into the loft.

They have a vented hot water cylinder and vented central heating system.

Effectively a very large un-pressurised accumulator.

I’d try a salamander home boost first. I was well impressed.

I’ve emailed them actually ... although I’m a bit confused where the water would come from? Does it just suck the mains to 12l how would it know there was an upstream problem?

I’m on a shared supply with next door and have no idea what the plumbing situation in their gaff. The neighbour wasn’t particularly helpful when I enquired. They have a combi boiler so must have more pressure than me? I mean there’s even the possibility that the previous owners could of fitted a pressure reducing valve to protect their supply.

There's only 2 options:

1. upgrade water main to get more incoming flow
2. have some form of stored water

For (1), upgrading just the supply pipe which belongs to you may or may not be enough. You can ask your water company to measure the flow at your roadside boundary to see if this would be worthwhile. I think most water companies are obligated to provide 9 l/min at 1 bar (though check with your own). I think you can pump up to 12 l/min legally - but again check.

For (2), you can either have a storage tank in the loft to provide gravity fed or pumped. Or you can have a pressurized accumulator, provided your incoming supply pressure is sufficient. The usable volume of water in an accumulator is less than the size of the tank, as it is partially full of air to provide the pressure.

There's only 2 options:

1. upgrade water main to get more incoming flow
2. have some form of stored water

For (1), upgrading just the supply pipe which belongs to you may or may not be enough. You can ask your water company to measure the flow at your roadside boundary to see if this would be worthwhile. I think most water companies are obligated to provide 9 l/min at 1 bar (though check with your own). I think you can pump up to 12 l/min legally - but again check.

For (2), you can either have a storage tank in the loft to provide gravity fed or pumped. Or you can have a pressurized accumulator, provided your incoming supply pressure is sufficient. The usable volume of water in an accumulator is less than the size of the tank, as it is partially full of air to provide the pressure.

Thanks you .. that's pretty much where I'm at. I have South Staffs coming today so let's see what they say at the road.

Just had south staffs out .....
I’ve got 45l min at the road before it comes in next door and 10l min at my kitchen sink!

Mi assume this means either the lead pipes are calcified or there’s something been done next door.

Looks like a new main ‍♂️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back