Lowering a 40mm waste pipe through my wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lower the waste pipe that runs from my bath through the wall to the waste/down pipe. It wasn't something that had even crossed my mind until I'd installed the new bath and saw how much deeper it was than the old one! Raising the bath isn't an option.

What do I need to drill a 40mm hole through my wall which I assume is about 18" thick?
I assume that I need to go to some tool-hire placeand tell them I need a.....

Sponsored Links
Diamond core drill set complete with power drill (low speed high torque) ;)

Most DIYers would take half a brick out with hammer & chisel.
Free no charge just a bit of effort.

JonB

Sponsored Links
JonB said:
Most DIYers would take half a brick out with hammer & chisel.
Free no charge just a bit of effort.

JonB
only half a brick :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I wouldn't even make my apprentices do that, not even as a joke....!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

They wouldn`t have a bloody clue how to anyway :LOL: :LOL: They`d just belt straight thru from inside .....wouldn`t know how to transpose from inside to out ,and the little darlings mustn`t go over 6feet up a ladder :rolleyes:

How do you think i feel. Recently had to get a 40mm waste pipe through a 3 feet thick wall, 10 feet off the ground on a ladder and only an sds drill with a 4ft long, 22mm thick drill bit to do it with (out of the school budget to hire the correct tool at £60 for the day).

Two hours later, Bl**dy arms were ready for dropping off.

I_aint_no_plumber said:
I need to lower the waste pipe that runs from my bath....installed the new bath and saw how much deeper it was than the old one!
Are you sure the waste pipe is as high as it can be (i.e. only just below the plug hole level)? By using a short waste outlet and a special bath trap you might be able to keep the waste high enough to use the existing hole.

DOn't go to HSS for diamond core drills - way OTT.
Local hire shop is £12 for a makita drill, and about the same for the bit. You can use an ordinary SDS drill (hammer OFF!) for small diamond cores too, though you may need the chuck adaptor. You will need an extension, a foot long at least.

Nige - you don't want low speed high torque - you must be thinking of something else - ordinary TCT core bit mebbe.??

You need 1000rpm or so for a 50 ish mm bit and a clutch in the drill so the drill handle doesn't break your jaw when the bit grabs.

For small holes like this I usually try a 24Vsds first. If the brick is soft it's fine.

I find some walls you can stitch drill quicker than core drill.

To the questioner, you use a good hammer drill, minimum quality is Bosch sds or one of the many clones of it now available. Use 100mm 8mm dril (typically) from each side, to drill a circle of holes just a little larger than you require. Get hammer and hit middle of this hole as though your life depended on it. If you have an sds tool which is a mini breaker put the chisel in and attack the joins between the holes. It'll be all over in a few minutes.

My m8 general builder prides himself on needing few tools. He had to make fan hole in bathroom. Since he's one of the few people on this earth that doesn't believe in leeching off plumbers he didn't ask me to drill it foc, rather picked away with hammer and chisel. He had an almost perfect round hole chased out in half an hour.

Me I have a Hilti DD130 (second one, first fell off the back of a van, my van!). To the Makita it's like a Harley to a Lambreta. But it's no fun up ladders. Only benefit of it up a ladder over the lighter Makita is that the clutch is softer believe it or not, so you have loads of confidence in it. I've had my hand broken by a Makita and in same incident nearly came off ladder. I do all ladder work myself. No doubt soon politically correct scouts from the council will drive round looking for us ladder users and slap some sort of fine on us.

When that day comes I feel sorry for you customers of ours. The cost of living is going to have to go up, that's all.

Perhaps the government is just going all Keynsian. Make you lot spend more money on us lot so causing economic growth, oops, that causes rampant inflation. If we learn anything from history it's that we don't learn anything from History.

U could try asking the hole to move. I've found they can be very cooperative. :LOL:

My speeling gets better on stella!

Nige F said:
They wouldn`t have a b****y clue how to anyway :LOL: :LOL: They`d just belt straight thru from inside .....wouldn`t know how to transpose from inside to out ,and the little darlings mustn`t go over 6feet up a ladder :rolleyes:

"Nigel F"

In a word "True" How did our forefathers cope. There was none of this "health and safety" pure common sense. What good is "health and safety" when you haven't got common sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back