Lowering a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we've moved into has a very high bath and is tiled in travertine. The bath is very high and could also do with being replaced. I hope to do this myself, but I wonder whether marks will be left on the tiles.

The tiles themselves are uncut and extend low enough for a normal bath to be fitted without exposing bare wall, but I am concerned that a horrible line will be left at the height of the old bath. Is this likely to happen, could it be sanded off, or is it just something that can be fixed with a razor blade?

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are sealed, or factory glazed you should be able to remove any silicone that is on them - that should be the only mark left on it, except possibly a bit of mold at the join.

I would scrape everything off you can, then spray WD40 on it to loosen any bits that may be in any dips in the tiles

Hello,
The bathtub should not have left an unsightly mark on the tiles. Having said that there will be sealant on the tiles. This can be easily scraped off by using a sharp razor blade and a little hot, soapy water.
Once you have the majority off I would use a cleaner especially made for cleaning targeting tiles. There's no reason, theoretically, why you can't use WD40 but having never used it to clean tiles and grout I do t feel qualified to give you that advice.
I hope this helps, Ian @ JRHConstruction

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back