Lowering ceiling

Still doing this job. When I put joists up between two opposing wall plates, 3.8m apart, do I need to leave an allowance for expansion of the joist?

Sponsored Links
No responses but cracked on anyway!
So put up ceiling successfully, used two long "wall plates" I.e. Long 6" x 2" joists , one of which spanned the bay window. Hung them on pre fitted resin anchors, one at each end, having pre drilled a staggered set of holes through joists for fitting sleeve bolts through afterwards.( If I was doing it again I'd knock the plaster off first behind the joists.) I then put hangers up and put 4" x 2" joists across. Where the ceiling sagged I sometimes had to fit the hanger afterwards whilst balancing joist on my shoulder. Did it all as a one man job with the exception of getting my neighbour to help me hang the long wall plates on the studs. Now overboarded plastered and cornice fitted. DIYyes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back