Lowering Ground Levels Below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of moving and the Buildings Survey has come up with (among lots of other things!) the need to reduce the outside ground levels so they are below the DPC.

The problem is there is cemented in concrete slabs all around the house, I was wondering if the following is possible/practical?

Could I hire a slab cutter and simply cut a foot of each slab, then dig down for 6inches (along the wall) and fill the hole with shingle? Would this stop water breaching the DCP?

Also

The surveyor is encouraging us to get a chemical damp proof course done (est 3k) as ours seems to be crumbling to the touch (house around 80 years old). A friend of mine told me not to bother as Rising damp is very rare in the South West, does anyone know if there is any truth is this?

All advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forget about cutting slabs + digging away......unless u want the excercise.

Get an additional DPC injected + it needs to be minimum 150mm ABOVE the finished external floor level..........3k sounds expensive, get a few quotes. By the way u definitly need a working DPC, unless ur not too bothered about ur property long-term.

another opinion...

forget about chemical injections. Lower the ground back to where it wa when the house was built. You may as well relay the paving or whatever at the lower level.

You say the old DPC is crumbling, is it slate? bitumen? or what?

Any chance of some pics? We like pictures.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I havent moved in yet but will be next week. What do you think about the ditch idea, would this work?

Im worried about lowering all the slabs as that sounds complicated, I know I would end up with an uneven surface!!

If I could simply dig a ditch and fill with shingle I reckon I could cope with that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back