Lowering plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.

I am about to start a garage conversion, and at the moment the plug sockets are set on the walls at about chest height. Once it's a bed room I will want them at skirting board level. The cables are currently surface mounted in trunking, but will be behind plaster board in the room once I have put the plasterboard in.

Whats the easiest way to do it? (Building regs will want to see it!)

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
extend the cables with permanent connections (crimped or soldered)

put heat-shrink sleeving over the connections

run them in oval pvc trunking do the new position

the cable run concealed in the wall must run direct (vertical or horizontal) to the new sockets so that someone can see the socket and guess where the cable will be.

Since my soldering could in no way be described as permanant then crimping it is I guess!!

Thanks a lot

Andy

If you are doing major works such as plastering he room out etc, then it seems an ideal time to me to have the room rewired to properly accomadate your new requirements.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would try to use as few connections as possible, which would mean rewiring most of the socket circuit in the garage. As it is currently in surface trunking / conduit then this will be easy.

For those cables that you have to extend use crimps and a ratchet crimper (not the ones you get from car shops!!) then use heatshrink or self amalgamating tape over the join.

If you want the easiest way to do this then I would say that you should get someone in who is a on the competent persons register, otherwise you must inform your LABC and pay their notification fee.

Wouldn't converting a garage to a bedroom require LABC involvement anyway?

Might be worth checking if building regs will be happy with sockets at skirting board level as I believe wiring regs require them to be 450mm min up from floor level?

No, wiring regs don't.

Part M of the building regulations does require this for new build and fully refurbished properties.

by the time you've finished your building work you'll have creaky knees and a bad back, so you'll be glad of higher sockets :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back