Lowering Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing my living room out at the moment and would very much like to lower my wall sockets from approx 34 inches high to maybe 12 inches from the ground.

Should I use JBs to extend the cable or is there anything better?

Not looking forward to chasing the wall out.

:(

Sponsored Links
Why are they that high to start with? Is there a reason you can think of?

We had our sockets in the lounge put at a metre high, because it was converted from a garage and there had been damp in there in the past.

Do the cables run up or down from the sockets?

Sponsored Links
I'll do you a deal Bacho, I'll come and do your electrics if you come and do my plumbing?

need a gas pipe connected up, a rad pipe repaired ( some numpty put a ball valve in the line and it leaks.. ) and I get no hot water from my vailant, but heating is ok..

Sorry mate but I am only (or used to be) a basic plumber and not a gas bloke.

You can fix the isolating valve leak with jointing compound or ptfe if you drain down assuming you have no flow problems in which case it will be better to remove it.

Post in the plumbing if you want to have a go.

Thanks Ban. Will I need to buy a crimping tool?

One like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not like this:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

You can get heat-shrink crimps which are very good

and heat-shrink sleeving to go over the lot

for neatness, stagger the position of the crimps. If they are all at the same height you will have a huge fat bulge.

Practice your crimping on a bit of scrap cable first, and give them a good tug to check they are tight.

need a gas pipe connected up, a rad pipe repaired ( some numpty put a ball valve in the line and it leaks.. ) and I get no hot water from my vailant, but heating is ok..
He'll be there on Thursday. Wait in all day for him :LOL: :LOL:

turned up in the end, 1:30pm FRIDAY.. :rolleyes:

the ball valve is the screw turn type and is leaking where the screw is, not at the joints.. if I fiddle with it then I can get it to stop, but it's only at an exact certain place.... didn't move it from last year, but when I put the heating back on this past winter, it leaked again.. so more fiddling to get it to stop..

Those type are crap and you should replace it with a better quality one. I have one in the kitchen that I will get round to replacing.

Back on topic......... I have bought a crimper etc and want to know that when I have joined the cable (Which will be in the redundant socket void) How should I protect these crimps? I will be rendering so should I wrap crimps intape or use something else?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back