LPG fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm a electrician and I'm building my own house, I plan to put in LPG cylinders for use with a gas hob.

What are the rules with regards to isolators. I have LPG in my house just now, there is an iso just after the regulator and one just before entering the house, is this what I need to do? Having the hob on an island in the kitchen and the pipe would be under the ufh screed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think I need to do.

From regulator copper pipe -> Isolator (at tanks) -> Plastic pipe underground -> Isolater (at house) -> Plastic coated copper pipe underscreed -> Hob.

Sponsored Links
You need to fit a fan isolator on the gas supply under the hob, or in a cupboard next to it if you have a built in oven under it.

All gas appliances must have their own isolator regardless of what is at the cylinders of outside.

You get a qualified LPG installer round, don't mess with it, far more hazardous than natural gas.

Sponsored Links
you need an lpg corgi to advise on this.too much to go wrong with this stuff :rolleyes:

The underfloor heating is off a ground source heat pump, so no gas there. Its just that I didn't want to reley soley on electricity as we have powercuts quite a bit, but with all this talk of unsitely isolaters and cutting up my hand made kitchen to fit them in might as well just go for induction :idea: .

I was going to get in checked after, its just if I was doing it I could put everything in at the right time and not have to wait for a gas fitter to do his work before getting on with mine.

I'm well aware of the dangers of gas, but I do think if you have half a brain cell are and carefull, you can safely carry out your own gas work.

Just read the article on gas installers certifying non registered work. It basically says the RGI will carry the can if things go belly up unless they check every item of work carried out by the non registered. I think this could end up more costly than getting the RGI to do the instal from start.

If the poster wants to DIY, I say go ahead as it is your house and your insurance can decide what to do if things go wrong.

Suppose this makes sence, similar thing with me and inspecting DIY electrical work.

Would the average fitter have a problem with me doing first fix, laying pipes in trenches and underfloor, then they came to do the second fix, fitting all the connections. I know this would depend on the fitter but what do you guys out there think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back