Thinking of fitting an lpg hob! Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of changing my electric hob to an LPG hob with a couple of cylinders and changeover outside. Being a very practical guy (trumpet blower) I'd like to install it myself but am concerned about rules and regulations regarding this.

Do I need a corgi man to do this or can I just have him inspect and check?

If I can do the majority of the work myself, how much can I do and does anybody have the regs I should work to?

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
The only part of the installations you can complete is connecting the gas bottles to the changeover valve. Everything else must be carried out (by law) by a corgi registered gas installer with the relevent LPG modules.
Your hob must also be registered with building control through corgi for which you will recieve a certificate.

LPG is nasty if you don't know what your doing, far more dangerous than piped natural gas IMO.

HTH Sam

Hi sixstring.
I diyed my gas cooker with some 10 mm copper piping and a single stage propane regulator connected to the 47kg cylinder.
I have a single cylinder so no change over valve needed.
I think the most dangerous aspect of the installation is when the gas is running at the cooker but not ignited.
My neighbours are not within a mile of my home so if it explodes they are safe. (I think) :D

Hi sixstring.
I diyed my gas cooker with some 10 mm copper piping and a single stage propane regulator connected to the 47kg cylinder.
I think the most dangerous aspect of the installation is when the gas is running at the cooker but not ignited.
My neighbours are not within a mile of my home so if it explodes they are safe. (I think) :D

The most dangerous part of the instalation is you carried it out yourself and you think this is ok
I'm glad your neighbours live so far away so as to be safe i just wished i lived a bit closer to you so i chould hear the explosion and come to gloat over the damage caused ! you are a silly little man if you think its ok for DIYers to install gas appliances :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi sixstring.

:rolleyes:

assured heating wrote

The most dangerous part of the instalation is you carried it out yourself

And how is that dangerous ?.

i just wished i lived a bit closer to you so i chould hear the explosion and come to gloat over the damage caused !

Would you want to come over to gloat over the damage I cause if I inadvertently leave my kitchen sink tap on (with the plug in and no overflow ) and flood the kitchen also ?.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is going to become a debate about who should be carrying out the work. I do agree that things should be done within all regulations and current laws, but don't agree that you can instantly assume that a job is done badly just because the DIYer doesn't hold a Corgi certificate. I know plenty of qualified (on paper) people in many fields of expertise that can't do the job as well as the so called un-qualified. So please don't judge because we’ve all seen work carried out by "professionals" that can only be described as a bodge. We are now forced to employ a person we’ve never met, know or are confident to trust to do a job we know we can do better given the guidelines.

These laws were set in place to create extra revenue and to protect me and others and I will follow them, but personally I am confident that any work I would have carried out would have been done to as high/higher standard.

Does anybody know where I can read the regulations that say a CORGI guy has to do all of it? I'm sure you're correct but it's nice to know an official website that confirms it all as DIY LPG is fine in caravans and boats etc. (I think) :confused:

So what do you do if you move into a house that has the fixtures in place but no certification?

Fare comment. :LOL:

Just so busy at work haven't had time to search for any length of time. Cheers though.

Will have a read when home.

Why would anyone want to have a gas hob with all the cleaning that goes with it when you could have a nice flat easy to clean induction hob? A quick wipe down with a shot of hob brite and it looks like new... Heats just as quickly as gas too.

Had one old duffer who wanted me to convert his existing NG hob to LPG despite the fact that he was on NG... Said it was cheaper than NG :rolleyes: Be careful guys, the nutters are out there :eek:

assured heating wrote

The most dangerous part of the instalation is you carried it out yourself

And how is that dangerous ?.

i just wished i lived a bit closer to you so i chould hear the explosion and come to gloat over the damage caused !

Would you want to come over to gloat over the damage I cause if I inadvertently leave my kitchen sink tap on (with the plug in and no overflow ) and flood the kitchen also ?.

Well norcon i take it that you are not a RGI with the Lpg element are you?
If not my statment is self explaining however if you are a RGI which i dont think you are i apologize

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back