LTE replacement for a PSTN dialler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20 year old Honeywell PSTN dialler that was a carry-over from my old alarm and is now running on a Texecom Premier Elite (driven from IOs), but as we move to FTTP, it's occurred to me that the PSTN line will vanish, and I will need a new solution to replace this. I already have internet-based notifications (through ComIP / Home Assistant), but would like to retain a secondary notification channel.

What options are there available that either integrate directly with the Texecom alarm, or could be driven directly from the IO as I do currently for my existing dialler? I would also be interested in hearing what people do for sims for these too - obviously I don't want an expensive monthly airtime bill for something that only gets used once in a blue moon!

Sponsored Links
Problem with pay as you go sims is people forget to test / make that monthly call and they get cancelled ….look at the smart com with sim , this may be your cheapest option

most gsm diallers are 2G and slowly being upgraded in some cases.

Texecom have there own which is limited to functionality, indeed I have one on ebay at approximately half retail price new and unused.

the problem with Texecoms own unit is its connected to a com port of which you have three already occupied, smart com and comip modules?

GJD710 is an option we fit that has tamper and outputs as well as a few inpuits with the ability to have voice calls as well as sms over GSM.

Obviously you will need a test on a payasyougo sim to keep it alive. Although the likes of some registered payasyou card cards you may get notified of inactivity, a few customers on giff gaff I know have been notified via email however it does rely on you checking your email.

Thanks gents, much appreciated.
look at the smart com with sim , this may be your cheapest option

I will do so and have a read of the documentation. Downside of this is that I suspect it will only notify through Texecom Cloud and their app, which is not what I want. Not sure if it can just send SMS / call direct, but I suspect not.

the problem with Texecoms own unit is its connected to a com port of which you have three already occupied, smart com and comip modules?

I could replace my existing SmartCom with the SmartCom 4G if needed, so would avoid the com port limitations, but if it's a dedicated dialler, then it's not going to work as you are quite correct in saying that I'm out of ports.

most gsm diallers are 2G and slowly being upgraded in some cases.

Yes, I'd probably been a bit over-enthusiastic looking at 4G kit. As it happens, 2G switch-off is still a long way off in the UK (if ever, TBH) so I suspect this bit of futureproofing isn't needed.

Having a poke around, I found this rather nice piece of kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194492918746 - as it happens, I already use an ESP8266 (its less powerful cousin) to provide my main notifications for the alarm, so it should (!!) be trivial to replace with this and augment with SMS / dial-out. It's cheap enough to take a punt, and if it goes nowhere, I'll probably spend a few more quid and return to a more traditional solution!

Good call on PAYG vs contract sims for security use. I'll investigate this further.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can get a security sim preloaded with credit for 12 months that doesn’t run out then I think they email you to top up again

Smarty is on 3 network and most gsm units use the 2G network so probably won’t work

Smarty is on 3 network and most gsm units use the 2G network so probably won’t work
Yes, indeed, you are quite right:

If you have a 2G device and your SIM does initially connect to the SMARTY network, this will only be temporary. Our systems will detect this pretty quickly and your device will soon stop working.​

Will have a look into some other options over the weekend.

Yes, indeed, you are quite right:

If you have a 2G device and your SIM does initially connect to the SMARTY network, this will only be temporary. Our systems will detect this pretty quickly and your device will soon stop working.​

Will have a look into some other options over the weekend.
recently bought a Menvier SD3 and that uses the 3G network.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back