LV Halogen lights trip MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced a fluorescent tube in the kitchen with a new low-voltage halogen track system. Now the MCB for the lighting circuit trips about three times a week when the new lights are switched on.

Although the new light is a higher wattage than the old one, I don't think it's overloading the circuit because it happens when there are only a couple of lights on in the house.

The MCB's always been quite sensitive - it always trips when a normal incandescent bulb blows, so I tried replacing the it with a new one - it's a 5A Wylex plug-in type, which directly fits in place of old wired fuses. Unfortunately the new one seems even more sensitive so I put the old one back.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to sort out this annoying problem?

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
What about if I were to fit an inductive dimmer switch to the new track system?

Something like: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VL630LV.html

Would this prevent the surge at switchon and stop the MCB tripping? It seems like a backward step to fit a cartridge fuse, or is that truly the best remedy (would the fuse stay intact when a normal bulb blows for example?)

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
adamr said:
What about if I were to fit an inductive dimmer switch to the new track system?

Something like: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VL630LV.html[/QUOTE]
Is that the right sort of dimmer for your transformer, i.e. is it a wirewound one (toroidal or not)?

Assuming that the transformer is a dimmable type, then a dimmer, of the right type, might help, but I'm not sure how much of the starting surge on the secondary side translates into a surge on the primary. But it's worth a try.

A fuse is not necessarily a retrograde step - they are good for lighting circuits, as they don't blow when there's a surge due to a lamp failing. My lighting MCBs always trip when lamps blow, and when I replace the CU I'm either going to use Type Cs, or very possibly fuse carriers.

Thanks guys - cartridge fuse it is then.

Just out of interest - the transformer in the halogen track system is a big heavy cylindrical thing with lots of wound copper wire visible through the plastic sheathing - that's a toroidal, right? And therefore dimmable with the dimmer I mentioned in my last post? (just in case I decide in the future I want to be able to dim this light)

Thanks again

Adam

Sounds like it.

It's probably wirewound anyroad, not electronic, which is the key thing. You ought to try and find out for sure though - contact the maker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back