LV & Mains Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the following layout of lights and am looking good quality dimmers. The press and hold variety would be good. Each LV Downlighter has its own transformer and is dimmable.
Please see my diagram. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You don't mean LV (low voltage), you actually mean ELV (extra low voltage). LV is defined as 50-1000V AC (i.e. it includes the traditional UK mains supply voltage of 230V), whereas ELV is defined as < 50V, which will cover the downlighters you're thinking of...

I cannot recommend a make but please remember that your ELV lights (12V with transformer) need to apply a factor, I normally use 1.8. the meaning is that if your load on the ELV is 350W the Dimmer will have to be suitable to carry about 630W. It is possible that you can find dimmers that are already incorporated this factor and will show that they are suitable for 350W or 400W etc, but this has to be verified.

I have the following layout of lights
Rather than getting dimmers, why don't you rip out those despicable downlighters and replace them with lighting which actually works efficiently.

500W? That's outrageous.

Sponsored Links
I totally agree with BAS.
Read up on the principle of operation of quartz bulbs and you will see they should not really be dimmed. It will shorten their life.
So you should only dim the wall lights. The company who make this make a whole range which will allow you to dim wall lights without dimming the quartz units.

Thank you all for your comments!

BAS the 500w are in two areas i.e lounge and dining area...may be I should consider smaller watt bulbs like 35w?. But take your point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back