M.A.D Bits......or MAD bits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking round at replacing my spade bits and some other bits and bobs in the tool box and found these MAD bits....

Has anyone used/purchased these and have any comments about them?

The sales bumpf says they can replace spade bits and augers alike. and they have the ability to be used for morticing. Sounds good but would like to know what anyone thinks.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes they are good for morticing etc, but require a fast speed to stop the bit snagging - especially on softwood like pine.

Good for widening holes in joists, as can be used on an angle if the drill don't fit between them

so do you use them free hand on a drill for morticing? or on say a piller drill to replace moticing bits?

I've never used them for mortice joints, but rather for mortice locks and anything similar. I use them in a high speed dewalt cordless, and hold the drill steady to prevent wandering

Thinking about it, its probably to do with the wood type and fine grain - something like mahogany is much better to work on and a bit more controllable than say, pine.

The cutting edge on the back/top of the bit is good for jigging the bit around in the timber

Are they designed for bench use? I thought they were really for rough work (suits me sir!)

Sponsored Links
I think you might be right, having revisited the bumpf, the picture does show the bit channelling i piece of hardwood, so i might just stick to the spades andaugers after all!

cheers for your thoughts.

I've found these bits very useful for the odd occasion when there's a tricky hole to drill through a joist, and yes they perform very well on the bench as well. But I wouldn't abandon spade bits (which are much cheaper anyway).

Recently I got a couple of Bosch spade bits with lead screws; wonderful for drilling hard joists.

Yes i agree, the Bosch spade are great! I do find however that great care is needed for blind holes in soft wood (counter bores etc) where the bits pull-in rather fast and hard, and you end up too deep.

What sort of use have you had with MAD bits on the bench?

Err, drilling holes in wood.

A MAD bit will drill a clean hole, much like a forstner bit.

Err, drilling holes in wood.

:LOL: As opposed to filling them in again.....

I was thinking more along the lines of for what purpose, just holes, or have you used then for channelling as per the bumpf.

I think'll bit the bullit and try a single one before spashing out for a set - nothing ventured.....

Cheers for the input.

What advantage will the mad bit give in a bench setup? For holes a normal spade/forstner will do and for channeling a router would be better.

The mad bits seem to be designed for hand drill use, and rough hole/groove cutting

There's no special advantage at all.

It's simply that I've once or twice put a MAD bit in the chuck of the bench drill and found it drills a perfectly acceptable straight hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back