m12 x 180 galvanized coach bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm about to start building a deck. I have managed to source galvanized m12 thru bolts for hanging my ledger board but cannot find any m12 x 180 galvanized coach bolts for hanging the joists on the posts. Are zinc bolts ok?

I'm also having trouble getting hold of the correct joist hangers for 150 x 47 joist. I wanted Simpson strong tie LUP230/47 as they seem the only ones with the correct size. Do you know where I can get them? Or suggest an alternative? I might end up skew screwing.

I live in Derby.

Thank you for reading
Ian

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that Zinc bolts and Galvanised bolts are one and the same.

Instead of coach bolts, why not use threaded rod with nuts and penny washers. I reckon it would be a lot cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies.

The bolts at Toolstation I presume are zinc plated and not hot dipped.

Do I not need hot dipped galvanized to use in pressure treated timber outdoors?

Hi Merlin / All,

I have read that the chemicals in pressure treated wood will corrode zinc plated bolts and that hot dipped galvanised should be used as these have a thicker coating of zinc. I was hopping to get some advice as to which type of bolt I should be using.

I think this subject has been discussed on the forum before. I'll do a wee searsh and see if I can find it.

Hi Stivino,

I've searched but can't find anything. Hope you have better luck.
Thank you for replying

Go for the cheapest of the 2. Your deck will rot out from under your feet before an M12 treated bolt corrodes through! I'm assuming your deck will last 20 years you know.....

If you are worried grease the bolts when fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back