A few quick decking questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting out on my deck build.

The deck is being built on a slope, so one end will be higher off the ground.

I'm using 100x100mm posts and 6x2 joists.

1) What fixings should I be using for the posts to joist? I've read somewhere M12 rust proof bolts.

Would M10 do the trick or M12 ?Should these be coach bolts? Or just a nut/bolt/washer combo? What material - stainless steel or BZP ?

I'm struggling to find M12 x 180mm stainless steel, although to be fair I've only tried Screwfix, Toolstation and my local timber merchants - they suggested not using bolts at all and using SPAX 8x180mm washer head screws.

Toolstation do some 6.7 x 150mm structural screws, but these won't be solid enough, right?

2) Will the following method be suitable for fixing the outside bits of the frame (excuse my rubbish paint skills!) :

Cheers,
sub

Sponsored Links
100mm screws are fine, anything else is way over the top.

yes that method is absolutley fine for fixing the joists

100mm for the joist -> post fixing, ie 50mm in each ? Would the Spax option from the local fencing place be a better choice that the Toolstation specials then ? :)

At what sort of raised height would the bolts become the safer choice (I'm all for overbuilding things)

Cheers!

Oh yeah, thinking about it - pergola posts and newels - will the same screws suffice, or should I be using a different method?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back