Maaasive expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have just moved into a new house in deepest west Wales. It is a recently converted old farm house. It is a modest sized house with about a dozen radiators. The plumbing is relatively quite new (about 10 years). In the corner of our utility room the is an absolutely huge pressure vessel attached to pipes coming out of the boiler. It is 450 litres. (Challenger Series 450 Litre Vertical Pressure Vessel).
Can anyone explain why it is so massive???

Cheers
Vincent

Sponsored Links
It's an accumulator for your water, I presume you have poor water flow rate and or pressure, and the water to your taps is pumped.

Sponsored Links
Hi sxturbo, your link is correct, it is exactly that one. My flow rate out the taps is not great, I am not aware of a pump? But we are on a long blue pipe running up the valley so yes, low pressure/flow rate. So its a sort of reservoir/buffer.

Cheers

Hi sxturbo, your link is correct, it is exactly that one. My flow rate out the taps is not great, I am not aware of a pump? But we are on a long blue pipe running up the valley so yes, low pressure/flow rate. So its a sort of reservoir/buffer.

Cheers

the poor flow rate from the taps could be 2 things, the hoses on modern taps restrict the flow rate significantly, the accumulator may need re-pressurising.

is the boiler a combi?

Not a combi, we have a pressurised hot water tank, which holds its pressure well. But the water pressure on the radiator circuit (dial in the boiler) keeps drifting down to zero. Can't find any leaky radiators.

My flow rate out the taps is not great, I am not aware of a pump? But we are on a long blue pipe running up the valley so yes, low pressure/flow rate. So its a sort of reservoir/buffer.

Cheers[/QUOTE]
The pump will be at the other end of the long blue pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back