Machine won't drain - loud clicking noise...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for any advice.

I have a Zanussi Aquacycle 1000. The machine won't drain, and there is a loud clicking noise. Could it be a coin or such like stuck in the pump? If so, would that be easily sorted?

The noise seems to be coming from below the drum. I can get the top off, but have yet to figure out how to get access to below...

Any comment appreciated... :confused:

Sponsored Links
remove all pipes, put m/c on its back, that way you can access the pump much easier

Thanks for the quick reply, Breezer. Much appreciated. :)

I'll tackle this tomorrow afternoon...

Happy Christmas

good luck, and bear in mind a w/m is heavy, if you can get a hand to put it on its back

Sponsored Links
I am convinced the pump is where the fault is. The noise is coming from it. I can't figure out how it is removed for checking - I have removed three screws I could see around the rim, but if there are more I can't see them.

I am even wondering if I am supposed to remove the front casing of the machine to properly access the pump, but think surely there must be an easier way.

Thanks for the support. I don't know if I'll get time to "get to the bottom of this" before Christmas... Que sera sera. :confused:

On the underside you'll see the white plastic catches which hold the filter housing and pumps in place, you have to close these and push into the machine a little. The pump will then pull out to the side.

Thanks to Breezer and Sleepyhead! My washing machine is running again. :D

I had quite a job today, getting it to bits, and discovering that the problem is a build up of gunge and chalky white stuff (Yukk) inside the chamber of the pump. I cleaned out all of the filter, pump and tubes of six years of build up of washing for a family of five. Now it's running like a dream, and I didn't have to add a single penny to our December expenses!!

I did have a false start, when I had forgotten to replace the rubber washer inside the pump - but all fine now.

Grateful to you both and to this site - I just needed that bit of encouragement and input to be able to get the job done. It seems more straightforward in hindsight, but I know I could do it again - was a feartie before I tried!

Have a great Christmas and New Year 2007

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back