Machines from USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering a personal import of some woodworking machines from the USA.

They are in the 3-5 hp range and run on 220 volts, what would be required to get them to work here?

I intend to use a sparks to do the wiring to the machines, who am I looking for to do the modifications to the machines themselves, or would this be within the sparks knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
did you know:

our electricty supply is 230v 50hz ac America is 120v 60hz ac, their 220v kit will run on our 230v ac but it will run slower (wrong frequency) but the extra 10v (230 - 220 = 10) will do it no good, so as you said they will need converting

now the fun part

to convert it to 230v ac 50hz you have 2 choices

1) you can have the motors rewound to operate at 230v 50 hz (I used to work at a company that did that, as well as rewinding burnt out motors etc)
however you will also need to have any relays changed to (the relays will be what operates the start / stop function, although you could change all the starting gear too)

2) you could get new motors and throw the American ones away, but then you have to get motors that are the same physical size / atributes (other wise they wont physically fit) and you still have to change the starting gear

(You may also have to have a bigger supply cable to cope with electricty demand)

You willl also have to get it shipped from America (its doubtfull they will fly it over due to the size and weight, shipping is MUCH cheaper)

Then also you have not mentioned (you may have not considered) as you are getting them from America (outside the EU) you will now become an "importer"

To import, something into this country you will have to pay import duty AND V.A.T. to customs and excise

customs and excise will help you with this, but it is easier if you are V.A.T. registered, if you are not V.A.T. registered you will need to apply for a "special V.A.T number" (again customs and excise will help you with this)

while you are getting your "special V.A.T number" sorted out it is likely the company that are holding it (because you havent paid V.A.T) will charge you storage for it

in summary

you have seen something (on the net?) that is what you want but cheaper in America, you can bring it to the UK, pay the following.

Import duty
V.A.T
Storage
Transportation (from the docks it arrives at),

and after all that, when it is at its your house, you then have to have it converted to run on our electricty supply, and you have to pay for parts (new motor / rewind and electrician to fit it)

In case you are wondering i know all this because i have done it (more than once), except it was not electric and so did not need converting.

if you import something and do not pay the V.A.T. / decide it costs too much / not worth it, you can elect to have the items destroyed, if you do, ask to be witness to it, but you still have to pay for the goods in the first place and shipping

is it still cheaper? (i think not)

Let us all know what you decide, as i did say, customs and excise are very helpfull (but they would be, as they want your money, and they WILL get it,) big companies are V.A.T. registered and do all the above all time

Breezer, thanks for a great reply.

The main item I want is a particular saw bench, which is not available in this country, or anything similar.

I have done a small amount of research, after reading a couple of articles by people who have done it and it can work out to be financially viable as there is nothing to compare it with.

I managed to get hold of a mitre saw that someone had personally imported and broke the guard, getting a replacement has been a nightmare and if anything stops me going through with this myself, it will be the spares issue.

I am starting to think it may be to much hassle for what is basically a flight of fancy.

Thanks again for help.

:) no problem , i just wanted to let you (or anyone else who reads it) to know what you are actually letting your self in for.

I have to agree sometimes it is worth it, but with all the "hassle" some times it isnt

Sponsored Links
If you are planing on using this for anything but personal use it will have to comply with Uk & European regulations such as having blade brakes and suitable safety buttons. That is one of the main reason Dado blades cann't be used here in table saws as they will damage blade brakes.

The other disadvantage of most US saws is that they don't have sliding carrages which are a must have for any sort of panel work and a lot better for cross cutting than a chop saw. What saw are you looking to get?

This is probably as close to a Us saw as you can buy in this country

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/products.as...rarchyID2=47&hierarchyID3=50&bucketid=9&sid=1

Jason

Hello Jason, I know about the personal use issues, as it does not meet EU regs.

The saw I have in mind is the Delta unisaw, it's a solid built cast iron construction accurate machine, with a great range of extras available, including a sliding carriage and of course you can use a daddo.

I will proberly go for the Startright or Sedgwick, at least I will be able to get spares. No daddos but as you know, not the end of the world.

Dan

Ban-all-shed have got one if you're interested, maybe sold now. See this

post locked to prevent hi -jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back