Moving from a 50hz to 60hz country.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
18 months ago we moved from the UK to the Philippines, and decided to take a chance and ship all our stuff with us, in a 20' container.

The PI is 220 volts, but 60hz, and surprisingly everything electrical worked okay, apart from the washing machine.....

That appeared to be okay, but for some reason the water pump would not work properly. Sometimes it would pump, other times it seemed to 'stall' and just hums, getting very hot.

I messed with the motor, and even took it off the system and connected it directly to the mains, to bypass any electronic intervention. It still did not perform properly.

I bought another pump, identical, but 60hz local origin. And that seems to do exactly the same thing when installed in the machine, but this one works okay when connected direct to mains.

I'm now wondering if I could use sort sort of 220 volt relay so the washing machine merely activates the relay to connect the pump direct to mains.

Is that a possibility, and what sort of device would I need?

I've pretty much given up on it now, having been burned and shocked, laying on my back underneath this thing, trying to coax it into life, but it seems a shame to scrap a £400 washing machine that was not even a year old when we moved.

And the wife is getting fed up of using our cheap local £50 top loader now. :oops:

Sponsored Links
I like it very much. Its so interesting. Its a very useful article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks

Led Night Light

Although squirrel cage motors tend to run fast it is unusual for them to stall. However washing machines can have some odd systems where start capacitors are not integral with motor. Some even have brushed motors which would not care even if DC. So one wonders if your machine has some item remote from the motor which controls it? It could even be a three phase motor driven off an inverter.

Without being conversant with your type of washer one can only guess what is inside it. I know that LG use inverters to drive main drum it was the only washing machine we could find that will work off an inverter connected to 12v supply.

I would repost on Appliances giving make and model and asking if anyone knows what type of motor it is and how it is controlled.

Sponsored Links
Back