Macphersons Gloss

I've been doing the back half of the house and there is still some building work being done in the front half right now. I doubt it will be going on the market until Jan/Feb so when I go back after Xmas I will be able to give an update as to how it looks. Will be back there Thursday for a bit so will also find out whether it's one of those slow drying concoctions. :confused:

Like you guys, I'm not too hopeful but you never know, it might be the new Holy Grail! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
keep us posted would love to find an oil gloss that stays white! TBH i'll probably see pigs fly before that. ;)

misterhelpful";p="2202880 said:
I've been doing the back half of the house and there is still some building work being done in the front half right now. I doubt it will be going on the market until Jan/Feb so when I go back after Xmas I will be able to give an update as to how it looks. Will be back there Thursday for a bit so will also find out whether it's one of those slow drying concoctions. :confused:

Keep us posted Mr H.

Dec

Trouble is Mr H is all paint companies have got the same restrictions on them i think the best we can hope for is someone cracks a decent hybrid gloss. As others have said the johnstones isn't bad but i've tried mythic and caparol as well and none seem to be that great over broad areas. This morning i used sikkens rubbol gloss over bl primer (for papering tomo) and i'm wondering if i've given it more of a chance against yellowing, also as i've been using WB gloss for the last few months it was lovely to go back to the superb finish OB gives but i know i'm being short sighted really.

Sponsored Links
have to agree dcdec but water based has surely got to come into its own sooner rather than later. the let down is the finish on the broader areas like flush doors and cupboards but on skirting and architraves the finish of the johnstones probably edges crown out in my eyes and is pretty good. that said more investment and improvements of these water based glosses are needed.

surely one day they will give as good a finish as oil! ;)

One day they will give more longevity and a better finish than oil, and that day is not far away.

Dec

Trouble is Mr H is all paint companies have got the same restrictions on them i think the best we can hope for is someone cracks a decent hybrid gloss.

Yes, I understand and agree with that but was just thinking along the lines that some brands have always performed better than others and was hoping that Macphersons had somehow managed to find a secret solution! ;)

Frustrating that paint companies didn't sort out a decent water based/hybrid gloss before the reg changes. It seems a very similar situation to the energy saving lightbulbs, of which I still can't find one that gives decent light instantly. :mad:

Been back today to find that the gloss had dried and was told it all felt dry yesterday morning (16hrs after painting). Had painted 6 casement windows and closed them before I left on Tuesday - opened them today and not the slightest sign of sticking.

Good news so far so we'll just have to wait until I get back there in the new year to check on the yellowing aspect - will update the thread then. :)

A lot of the lads round my way use it as a big firm always used to use it and the shop supplies it. I've only used black lately but...

I got a call from a woman that had this young guy round to do a lot of painting and she wanted me to make it right. He was 1 of these guys that had practised a lot on doors and now thought he could do the whole P&D thing and she wanted to give him a chance. Loads of mistakes this lad had made but....he'd used Macphersons bril white gloss to finish.
Now some of it was O.K but a couple of the sills and skirts hadn't yellowed.. they were ORANGE in places. Never seen the like before and maybe, just maybe it was a one off.

...some of it was O.K but a couple of the sills and skirts hadn't yellowed.. they were ORANGE in places. Never seen the like before and maybe, just maybe it was a one off.

:eek:

Hope it was a one-off - only time will tell now. At least the areas I've done so far get lots of natural light, so hopefully that might help. :unsure:

Seen similar to that myself Growler - the piments in the light colours are struggling to give coat finish - even over laying on a similar colour (after keying) is starting to look iffy at times

finished a few jobs with Macphersons gloss in the early spring . Sadly like many pre 2010 its was great but its suffering the same fate because of the VOC. Moved over to Acrylic for a large church job around the same time The mac is a lush cream and the Acrylic still looking good in white.
when seen 2 weeks ago - Ive started to move away from the oil whites as much as possible and now advise customers in the quotes of the problems. Even seeing Dulux and Crown gloss losing its edge (there again Crown is Macphersons.

Gaz

The heart of the problem with oil v water based is physics. It's all to do with surface tension. If you splash a shiny surface with water - it will sit there in little balls like water on a new car. If you splash the same surface with oil - it will flatten and spread out. Therefore water based paints will NEVER give the same performance as oil based - because the laws of physics won't allow it to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back