Made a mistake and wired mains plug to lighting rig!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to an incorrectly labelled fuse box the other day I wired in a plug socket in what was a spare wire, capped off into a junction box...

It turns out that this wire was from the lighting rig and not the plug circuit and we were just using a high powered tool and it stopped working, went and had a look at the socket and all looked okay, then I looked at the fusebox and the plastic around the fuse housing looks like it has melted a bit and I could smell burning.

Strangely enough,I checked the fuse, (30amp!!!- too high for a lighting ring, too - hence not blowing) and it was fine, - so any idea what I could have done and what are my options now?!???
:(

Sponsored Links
was this 30A wire in a 5A carrier? if so i suspect the carrier was overloaded. I suspect a bad contact (either between carrier and CU or between CU and cabling) may have contributed too.

just how high power was this tool?

short term i would stop using that fuseway and carrier, if theres a spare way and a carrier for it move the circuit there. if not then i'd shove a FCU on one of the rings and stick a 5A fuse in it.

long term the CU should be replaced and a proper inspection/test done of the installation.

Plugwash's Q about the tool is vital - there's a big difference between the fuseholder being damaged because of a local contact overheating problem, and the entire circuit cable being f***ed...

If it was just one tool on a 13A plug, then it's unlikely that you've damaged the cable though.

Sponsored Links
It was indeed one tool (ground breaker) on a plug into the newly wired plug board. So, fingers crossed, I haven't fried all of the wiring!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back