Madonna and child

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do you think about this story? I think she's got too much wealth, dosnt know what to do with it and is using the child like a new toy, probably hasn't spent any time with it as there is a nanny, the babies dad use to visit the him in the orphanage now there will be no contact, is it better off in the west? how do you measure wealth? ok starvation is an argument but.
"the adoption of children does little to help families break the cycle of poverty that sees millions of children die each year. Rather than a singular adoption, investing in the development of communities as a whole has a far greater impact on eradicating poverty." Trouble with that is you don't get to take home a token (baby) to show for your donation.

Sponsored Links
The kid has more 'chic' appeal than a new breed of poodle.

For the particular child, this is going to be a bit like winning the lottery, albeit meaning that its going to spend its life in the public eye, and it can't be a bad thing on an individual level, but if she really wanted to do something for Malawian children as a whole, she would have been better off putting a more sustainable programme in place, given that I guess she has more money than she can possibly spend in a lifetime (ditto Bono).

I think its to make herself feel (and look) good rather than any great concern for the childs benefit, but I suppose if some good comes of it for just one child, then it was no bad thing, just that doing good for thousands of children would have been better.

johnny_t said:
For the particular child, this is going to be a bit like winning the lottery, albeit meaning that its going to spend its life in the public eye, and it can't be a bad thing on an individual level, but if she really wanted to do something for Malawian children as a whole, she would have been better off putting a more sustainable programme in place, given that I guess she has more money than she can possibly spend in a lifetime (ditto Bono).

I think its to make herself feel (and look) good rather than any great concern for the childs benefit, but I suppose if some good comes of it for just one child, then it was no bad thing, just that doing good for thousands of children would have been better.
Well, those were my first thoughts, he definitely wont starve but that's were it ends, all the rest is superficial he could end up abese with no friends and go nuts and top himself his mates back home may be barefoot playing football, watching the sunset round a camp fire.
he'll have a playstation they'll have a bow and arrow.

Sponsored Links
I agree with JohnnyT. It would have made more of a difference if she had spread some money around, but in the end it will probably do some good. I would have more respect for her if she had done it on the quiet though, instead of creating a media frenzy.

hermes said:
I agree with JohnnyT. It would have made more of a difference if she had spread some money around, but in the end it will probably do some good. I would have more respect for her if she had done it on the quiet though, instead of creating a media frenzy.
I think that is exactly the main problem here: media frenzy, but was it caused by her or by the media?

As a more general point, there are a lot of kids now that are kind of famous from birth, like the various Beckhams and Madonna's other children, or Jordan's kids. It is probably going to be very hard for them to grow up without being f*cked up to some degree.....

''Madonna has not adopted an orphan, but a child whose family are extremely impoverished and therefore unable to support him. A life of wealth will not necessarily compensate David for the loss of his homeland and family members."
''Individuals who wish to improve conditions for children in the developing world can make a real difference by supporting international aid agencies that work in partnership with communities to achieve long-term benefits for children.''
I would question her motives, I don't mean its anything sinister but naive and childlike.
and this is a childs life. its wrong.

It seems I've been on another planet as I've somehow completely missed this story. Anyone got a link for me?

Thanks! :D

I have a friend who is trying to adopt a little Chinese girl but she is an orphan and that I think makes all the difference. I find it hard to believe that being taken away from his natural father is best for this little one, think it may all get very confusing for him when he's a bit older if he does get taken regularly to see his real Dad and his 'roots' like it said in that article. :confused:

I found this interesting though, seems she is trying to help on a wider scale as well. :p

Kelinik said:
Thanks! :D

I have a friend who is trying to adopt a little Chinese girl but she is an orphan and that I think makes all the difference. I find it hard to believe that being taken away from his natural father is best for this little one, think it may all get very confusing for him when he's a bit older if he does get taken regularly to see his real Dad and his 'roots' like it said in that article. :confused:

I found this interesting though, seems she is trying to help on a wider scale as well. :p
I agree it sounds nice and its good but reading this bit
" I have felt responsible for the children of the world," Madonna told Time magazine.
really! cringe making! they used to want to start donkey santuaries. ;)

Yes they always have to come out with something like that just as you start to think they're making sense lol! Remember something similar with Angelina Jolie about a rainbow coloured family! :rolleyes:

Why do people adopt outside of the uk ? I guess there are not so many children up for adoption here?

Kelinik said:
I find it hard to believe that being taken away from his natural father is best for this little one
Me too, I think it's all wrong, isn't better to give the money to the dad so he can look after Davies?

I know Madonna has given money away but to take the kid away from the dad is wrong just because he's poor, it's the old story of the rich and the poor.

Why not help the child who has no parents, relatives instead?

Sponsored Links
Back