Magnaclean failed me, boiler got blocked so what's next?

None of these filters catch all the magnetite on first pass.
Also the neodymium used by certain brands become significantly less magnetic at temperatures above 50 Celsius.
So they may be holding onto some magnetite flakes but as the return temp rises they let go of some of it. So it gets recirculated and possibly stuck somewhere else.

MB3 is good but never collects as much as the others. The exterior magnet tends to fall off so needs tying up with a bit of string or cable tie.
Magnacleans and TF1s all have had their problems with weeps and leaks. Only seen one MB3 leak and that was from the o-ring on the main body when some gorilla had overtightened the thing.
The new TF1-Omega looks a better design than the plastic TF1 - looks like they've borrowed the best bits from a Spirotech.

Sponsored Links
I'm interested in this gauze filter that you mentioned. Is this fitted within the magnaclean itself ? How is it attached and is it just cleaned or replaced when necessary.

This is just a standard plumbing accessory.

I actually use the 28 mm version bushed down to 22 mm as this gives more collection area.

They cost about £15 plus another £10 or so for the bushes and a full flow lever valve to enable them to be isolated and drained. The boiler return valve acts as the other isolation valve.

They need to be fitted with the opening nut downwards which is OPPOSITE to the arrow on the casing!

Sponsored Links
The new TF1-Omega looks a better design than the plastic TF1 - looks like they've borrowed the best bits from a Spirotech.

Thanks for pointing out this filter. It actually looks like it works.
Found this

Never used it before but I read about it thought I would post on line see what other thoughts were.
Agile mentioned a gauze filter so I thought this was similar to what he was tlking about.

If your read it's spec they say it's used when flashing out system and fitted on a return. When boiler is running.
Then taken off and you fit a magne cleaner after
Lik I said neve used before
But defiantly wouldn't leave that as parment solution.
But thanks pal

Yes, I tested one at home out of curiosity. Almost as bad as the Fernox boiler buddy..

Stick with Spirotech Mb3 or Magnaclean.

The Omega has had reasonable feedback, but when I looked into it, the servicing valves had ridiculous restrictions in them as they are not full bore.

This is just a standard plumbing accessory.

I actually use the 28 mm version bushed down to 22 mm as this gives more collection area.

They cost about £15 plus another £10 or so for the bushes and a full flow lever valve to enable them to be isolated and drained. The boiler return valve acts as the other isolation valve.

They need to be fitted with the opening nut downwards which is OPPOSITE to the arrow on the casing!

An inline gauze type filter that I can just isolate and clean out myself from time to time sounds ideal.

Tried searching for inline central heating filter but coming up with all sorts . Any chance you can share a link to exactly the type of product you mean as I'm still really unsure of what product works 100%.

Appreciated (y)

An example of something called by a totally irrelevant name.

Like an annaconda which is a gas part!

ignore pls just trying my iPhone out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back