1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Magnetic filters

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by alan999, 31 Oct 2012.

1. alan999

alan999

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone ever removes these from central heating sytems after a couple of years. Ive come across a couple about 2-3 years old recently with the joints leaking when the filter itself is relatively clean.
    I'm thinking the filter has already done its job and the system should stay clean if the correct inhibitor is added. Removing them would cut out the risk of future leaks and servicing. Any thoughts please?

2. Robiow70

Robiow70

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would definitely leave it in place, it's there to help along with the inhibator. They can leak if not looked after and from over tightening. If the unit is leaking I would strip it down and clean with warm water and check the seals are ok.
    Hope this helps rob

3. Sponsored Links
  4. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would definately leave it in, the early Magnacleans were bad for the isolation valves leaking but the replacement valves are a lot better

5. Robiow70

Robiow70

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would definitely leave it in place, it's there to help along with the inhibator. They can leak if not looked after and from over tightening. If the unit is leaking I would strip it down and clean with warm water and check the seals are ok.
    Hope this helps rob

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links