Magnetic Filters

...and just a boreing note of caution for any DIY installers! :)

These mag filters (by definition!) contain very powerful neodymium magnets - at short distances, they may be powerful enough to interfere with the operation of worn medical equipment, such as pacemakers, or insulin pumps etc.

If you have these medical devices, it may be best to employ a professional installer.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack, is to worth me fitting one? Ideal classic with cast HE, aluminium recuperator, plastic piping and newish radiators? F and R pipes running in for a few metres perpendicular to the top of the boiler.

Thanks

I put one of these on, also bought the adaptor for flushing the system
View attachment 327298
That filter is also inclusive with Ideal Max offerings.
When the filter cannot be dismantled for cleaning, one cannot remove 100% of the collected magnetic sediment simply by drain valve operation. Try it with filter in picture or another similar one where the magnet is withdrawn and canister flushed from the filter mounted valve. When magnet is reinserted, residual particles that do not get flushed out will be show Up as as slight resistance to insertion

...and just a boreing note of caution for any DIY installers! :)

These mag filters (by definition!) contain very powerful neodymium magnets - at short distances, they may be powerful enough to interfere with the operation of worn medical equipment, such as pacemakers, or insulin pumps etc.

If you have these medical devices, it may be best to employ a professional installer.

I offer a bronze service that includes cleaning out your magnetic filter.

The Silver Service we also check your pulse and give you a bed bath.

I'm looking into recruitment to see if we can offer an all singing all dancing Gold service. This is currently not available.

Sponsored Links
When magnet is reinserted, residual particles that do not get flushed out will be show Up as as slight resistance to insertion

I only have experience of my TF1 Omega, but - Is there a different design of filter, where the magnet, is directly open to the system water?

With the TF1, you can unscrew and pull out the magnet, with the filter under pressure, and no water loss. On the rare occasion (now), when I check the filter - I simply switch the boiler off, pull the magnet, give it a minute or two for the tiny amount of magnetite to drop to the bottom of the filter, then release it via the flush valve at the base.

I only have experience of my TF1 Omega, but - Is there a different design of filter, where the magnet, is directly open to the system water?

With the TF1, you can unscrew and pull out the magnet, with the filter under pressure, and no water loss. On the rare occasion (now), when I check the filter - I simply switch the boiler off, pull the magnet, give it a minute or two for the tiny amount of magnetite to drop to the bottom of the filter, then release it via the flush valve at the base.
Harry, when you withdraw the magnet, it Will come out with some resistance exerted by the magnetic particles. You flush the can and then drop the magnet back into the socket. It should go in with no resistance unless the residual particles are stick to the other side of the socket.

Adey filter is taken apart and washed.

If the magnet was to be in contact with water, it would corrode. Happened one time on filter same as yours ( filter included in Ideal logic max boiler), socket had a leak in it wetting the magnet. By the time the replacement was sent by Ideal, magnet would not come out.

Harry, when you withdraw the magnet, it Will come out with some resistance exerted by the magnetic particles. You flush the can and then drop the magnet back into the socket. It should go in with no resistance unless the residual particles are stick to the other side of the socket.

Thanks, got it now - I didn't have in mind a system with lots of corrosion/magnetite in it, because my own system has almost none at all.

Thanks, got it now - I didn't have in mind a system with lots of corrosion/magnetite in it, because my own system has almost none at all.
Harry, often the flowing water is clear looking as sediment settles at the bottom of the radiator. Take the radiator off, tip it over, you will be surprised at the muck that comes out.

Harry, often the flowing water is clear looking as sediment settles at the bottom of the radiator. Take the radiator off, tip it over, you will be surprised at the muck that comes out.

Possibly, but I don't have a good reason to try that. I did have to have one changed, for a shorter version, around 8 years ago, to enable a stair lift to be installed. I kept that radiator for a project I was planning, and at the time gave it a good flush out in readiness - nowt much came out of it then. My project was cancelled, so I let that go to scrap a year ago.

Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back