Maiden in Distress..Needs help with WALL LIGHTS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced two existing wall lights with two new ones. The lights work off one wall switch. Having put the first light up, I tried it, and it worked fine :LOL: However, having put the second one up - went to try it and now neither light works :cry: Have I done something wrong? it is to do with them both being on one circuit..should I have wired it differently ..or is it something to do with the lightswitch on the wall? I checked the fuses down the basement and they are all fine & have replaced single lights before with no problem. Can any one help. Many thanks Jenny

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the wiring in both the lights?
To upload an image;
Go to a hosting site such as imageshack: http://imageshack.us/
Click browse and locate the image. Ensure resize image is ticked and select 640 x 480 (for message boards). Click host it.
After the image has uploaded imageshack displays a list of links to the image. Highlight the text in the line at the bottom of the screen "direct link to image" and copy the text (press CTRL C to copy).
On your post type
size]
and insert the text from imageshack inbetween the two (press CTRL V to paste), so it reads something like:
dolrwo4.jpg

When you submit your post the image should now appear.

Sponsored Links
Likely the supply from the switch goes to the second light you fitted and then the two lamps are joined together. You need the switched live (the wire from the switch) to both the lamp and the cable joining the two lamps together. So you have power going from switch to lamp 2 to lamp 1. The neutrals will also be joined together (as will the earths), but will not go to the switch itself. Possible problem is that you have trapped the insulation in the connector(s) on light 2 and there is no connection even though everything looks soundly connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back