Mailbox for business email addresses, any to avoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently helping a pal out with his business emails, they were using 123-reg for email as he gets his domain names through them and the basic mailboxes come free.

They recently deleted the accounts as they were getting full up and due to an oversight, had 'expired'

They (123-reg) have suggested upgrading the accounts and purchasing mailboxes from them, but these will cost over £100 a year, and I'm sure this could be done much cheaper, and better.

Looking for a better way to manage the 3 email addresses, what's the best course of action to take?

Sponsored Links
Currently helping a pal out with his business emails, they were using 123-reg for email as he gets his domain names through them and the basic mailboxes come free.

They recently deleted the accounts as they were getting full up and due to an oversight, had 'expired'

They (123-reg) have suggested upgrading the accounts and purchasing mailboxes from them, but these will cost over £100 a year, and I'm sure this could be done much cheaper, and better.

Looking for a better way to manage the 3 email addresses, what's the best course of action to take?

As your Pal relies on a Web Hosting package of limited size he simply needs to actually manage his emails, not wait until his allocated space is full up!

I would expect the upgrade you mention is for unlimited storage of emails which does sound like the real answer for your Pal.

If he can get a better deal on a Web Hosting with unlimited email storage then perhaps it is time to transfer his domain's to a new host. The alternative is to simply down load and back up emails before deleting them from the server so there is always space!

Does he use pop3 or imap for incoming email and if pop3 has he configured his clients to leave a copy on the server?

As imap always keeps a copy on the server until it is deleted it may well be configured to send a warning when the limited is reached or nearing it's limit. Ask 123-reg.co.uk to find out. - This may be a way to better manage what he has

At the present time I have configured my 123-reg.co.uk email server for work to keep a copy of my pop3 configured email account. But every now and then I back up my emails and delete the server copies. I do the same for my ISP email accounts. The beauty of pop3 is you actually download the emails all the time whereas with imap you view them. The beauty of imap is that because it keeps a copy until deleted it provides a backup service. That is until your backup is full!

Can you use a domain name forwarding service and use gmail?

It works well, I know many business users that are using it for business mail.

Sponsored Links
A solution suggested by mattylad might work very well. I'm having lots of mailboxes but all messages are forwarded to only one main box located on my my personal server. I have never had mailbox fulled up.

Regards

Back