Main 30HE DHW problemo! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

New to this place as a Google search finds me a few threads on the Main 30HE combi, so thought I'd try my luck..
New house with a Main 30HE Combi, 12 year old. Seller was adamant it still worked, much to my dismay things went wrong from there.

Been here since end of May and we have had a continual nightmare since. Firstly, thermostatic mixer on the shower fires the boiler up for 10-15 seconds, the boiler then shuts down, this then repeats for the duration of the shower. The mixer has been replaced, problem continues. I can observe the push rod from the diverted valve contacting the micro switch then retracting leaving 3-5mm, then slowly back out again. Sometimes, the push rod never comes out and remains in hibernation, providing nothing but a cold shower which puts me straight in the dog house with the missus!

In terms of work done so far, new heat exchanger and diaphragm. Cappileries taken off and cleaned (not mucky) and a filter on the right hand side also removed and shows no sign of cloggage. My engineer has had this thing in bits 4 times now and observed no real scaling or debris. He is stumped.

Only a couple of weeks ago the HW tap in the kitchen was on the blink, providing HW once then not again for some hours. Or taking 30-40 seconds for the push rod to reach the switch. Since the taking apart and minimal cleaning this seems to have remidied itself. But the shower continues to cycle.

Apologies if this was TLDR material but I’m loathed to get a Baxi engineer out and even more so to get a new boiler. Please, someone out there help me!

TIA. Alex.

Sponsored Links
Has the hydraulic venturi been checked :?: its in a housing with a filter and flow regulator. All worth checking :idea:

Thanks for the reply guys, this something I can find myself? I’m no heating engineer but I am a mechanical engineer!
It’s even more so bizarre that the shower issues are somewhat random. Just this morning the shower has been faultless. So early morning late afternoon and no use of the boiler throughout the day seems to remove the issue..

Sponsored Links
Capture.PNG

Thanks for that, just what I needed. I’ll report back!

Sent the diagram to my engineer, said it was the part he inspected yesterday with recommendation from Baxi tech support. It was spotless:!: :(:mad:

He said he isn’t convinced that they’d be the cause, he wouldn’t expect them to be causing the pin to cycle in and out.. :sleep:

Good afternoon,

New to this place as a Google search finds me a few threads on the Main 30HE combi, so thought I'd try my luck..
New house with a Main 30HE Combi, 12 year old. Seller was adamant it still worked, much to my dismay things went wrong from there.

Been here since end of May and we have had a continual nightmare since. Firstly, thermostatic mixer on the shower fires the boiler up for 10-15 seconds, the boiler then shuts down, this then repeats for the duration of the shower. The mixer has been replaced, problem continues. I can observe the push rod from the diverted valve contacting the micro switch then retracting leaving 3-5mm, then slowly back out again. Sometimes, the push rod never comes out and remains in hibernation, providing nothing but a cold shower which puts me straight in the dog house with the missus!

In terms of work done so far, new heat exchanger and diaphragm. Cappileries taken off and cleaned (not mucky) and a filter on the right hand side also removed and shows no sign of cloggage. My engineer has had this thing in bits 4 times now and observed no real scaling or debris. He is stumped.

Only a couple of weeks ago the HW tap in the kitchen was on the blink, providing HW once then not again for some hours. Or taking 30-40 seconds for the push rod to reach the switch. Since the taking apart and minimal cleaning this seems to have remidied itself. But the shower continues to cycle.

Apologies if this was TLDR material but I’m loathed to get a Baxi engineer out and even more so to get a new boiler. Please, someone out there help me!

TIA. Alex.
My son had a new combi about 2 years ago. Can't remember make, but it wasn't Main. After about a year it started working erratically, symptoms not unlike yours. Eventually it was tracked down to the diverter valve. Guy said it's "a known but uncommon fault", and repaired under warranty. Been OK since. Could be yours has same problem.

My engineer has had this thing in bits 4 times now and observed no real scaling or debris. He is stumped.

The thermostatic shower mixer and a hot water tap have been exchanged,was this work done by the same ^ engineer :?:

I still would assume it's the hydraulic venturi, compare it to a new one, it will either be In pieces or the little spring will be out of position.

The thermostatic shower mixer and a hot water tap have been exchanged,was this work done by the same ^ engineer :?:
Hot water tap has not been changed, the thermostatic shower mixer was changed by me..

011BC8BD-5A26-40C3-BB09-1D13647E3D04.jpeg
This being the hydraulic Venturi..? This came out yesterday and was reported to be fine. No debris etc..

It can only be.
Hydraulic venturi
Impulse tubes
Diaphragm
Possibility of a mixer passing
I would get another engineer TBH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back